Kohler Command valve rattle- HELP!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by GetSomeGOJO, Apr 2, 2005.

1. GetSomeGOJO

GetSomeGOJO LawnSite Member

I have done a boneheaded thing.
    I changed oil and filter on the motor and didn't top off after running the unit for a sec. I forgot.
    Today, I ran the hell out of it for 10 minutes and noticed it was making a heck of a clatter. Checked the oil and it was off the stick. Topped off and it still is making the loud clacking noise. I'm short of bread right now and terrified that I've destroyed my mower. Someone help me before I have an ulcer.

2. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

What type of oil did you use?
    Kohlers with the hyd. lifters like a muti-grade 10/30 or 40.

Straight 30 or 40 doesn't work well in these engines.

3. GetSomeGOJO

It's a standard 10w-30.

4. Mower Man

Mower Man LawnSite Member

Since oil level was 'oof the stick', there was one half or less the normal oil as usual. May have scored or damaged a lifter, but definately will have an air bound lifter-lifters.

Kohler Commands require a multi viscosity oil !
    Not only can you be having air pocket hammering, but because the valve timing is off a cylinder or cylinders are "misfiring"

Try this, drain oil, but NOT filter....yet.
    Install 5-30W (5-30W)....making sure it's at correct level.
    Start engine, and run at idle speed for a few minutes.
    If noise gradualy becomes less....then there were air pockets with collapsed lifters.
    Drain oil & chage out filter. Make sure levels are correct.

If noise is still there, then there is mechanical damage....hopefully not also on the crank & rod.

If noise are still there....it's a trip to the shop.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

During the summer our unit started making that noise and our dealers mechanic said to put Sea Foam addative in the crank case. It made my unit settle down quickly. Some people say forget the rattle it is common but I am like you don't think I want to run like that long term. Be sure to use the 10W30 Castrol(my brand) and not straight 30W. I won't think you would damage the lifters by running them low on oil?

6. Mower Man

Mower Man LawnSite Member

Low oil levels will :
    1. Stir up more crankcase dirt, and get in oil ports causing collapsed lifters, and scored channels.
    2. Lifters have springs/balls/poppets inside. Oil acts as a hydraulic cushion preventing damage, and reducing wear.

Running Sea Foam may have cleaned up the inside. Good idea.

Older Commands absolutely needed 10-30W because of lifter type, and oil galleys.
    Newer K=Commands have different lifters, and improved galleys to allow for more/poor maintenance mistakes & practices.

They've really become a very good, and reliable engine design.

7. FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the deal with this sea foam. I saw it on my dealers shelf the other day. Is there anything that stuff cant do to help a motor. If it does half of what it claims that stuff should be run through every mower here on LS.

PS I am trying to up my posts so I can be a Lawn Site Addict.

8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Sea Foam is a great product, It is at its best in 2 cycle engines, keeps carbon down and rings free. Also acts as a fuel stabilizer

9. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

SeaFoam is used as an oil additive and a fuel additive. It can be used to decarbon an engine and an engine can run on it while you clean the pump and injectors. It will keep #2 diesel from jelling.

Before AMF bought OMC the owners manuals recommended SeaFoam as a fuel additive in their outboard engines.

10. GetSomeGOJO

You guys ROCK!!! It's fixed, it's fine! GO LAWNSITE!!!