Kohler command wont run?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by MSL70, May 14, 2004.

1. MSL70

MSL70 LawnSite Member

Hello everyone,
    I have a Kohler command 22hp vertical. the engine starts up and within a few seconds shuts off! I say shuts off because it sounds as though you turned off the ignition (no sputtering)
    This is what I've tried so far:
    -I have gas to the Carb, and fuel pump appears to be working (pumps good into a jar while turning over the engine)
    -the carb has a fuel shut off solenoid on the float bowl. It will be a major undertaking to remove it but when I jump power to it it does make a clicking noise so I think its working fine?
    -I have good spark on both cylinder's
    -I have disconnected the "kill" circuit according to the Kohler manual, so as to isolate the problem between the engine and the mower. no change?

All of the linkage on the governor, butterfly, and choke appear as they should. the engine fires right up but as soon as the governor moves its acts like you shut off the ignition?
    I'm lost! any ideas?

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

We have had this problem on Walkers with Kohler engines. It all most all the time turns out to be the switch. Hook a test light or meter up to the wire going to the fuel solenoid. Start the engine. When yo have the starter turning you will have power to the solenoid but do you have it when you let off the switch? That was our problem. The solenoid runs off two power sources. One when starting and another when running, and so does the Smart Pack if your engine has one. If the ACC side of the switch is not working what you are saying will happen. Try running the solenoid straight to the battery and see if it keeps running. I have done this just long enough to get them in to the shop more that once. Also check fuses. On some machines the ACC will be on a separate fuse. Also check the plugs on the wiring harness.
    Good luck

3. MSL70

MSL70 LawnSite Member

Thanks alot for the advice Fixer67,
    I have ran a jumper to the fuel shut off solenoid but no help, I didn't know there were two power sources thought? thanks.
    I am thinking about the switch and the smart spark though. I'll try some more tonight thanks again.