kohler commands

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ducky1, Feb 17, 2003.

1. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering if anyone has had valve train problems with the Kohler commands?? Where I work we have 4 of them and have had trouble with the spacer between the valve spring and the head. It flattens out and then you have tappet noise. We have also had some rocker arms come loose also. I don't have access to any service bulletins any more and was wondering if some of you may have run into this problem??

2. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

Kohler has a kit out for the valve train noise. Part #24-755-135-S this will take care of the noise and the wear problem on the spacer under the valve spring. Make sure your'e using the correct weight oil for temperature as far as rocker arms go. Wrong weight oil can cause too much oil pressure and try to pull the rocker arm bolts out of their threads.

3. ducky1

Thanks for the info jman. I will try that and see what happens. I though that there should be a fix for it out there somewhere.

4. PartsGuy

PartsGuy LawnSite Member

I hate to correct a fellow Lawnsite member but the valve kit that was spoken about earlier is for the single cylinder vertical shaft engines. At this years Kohler update we spoke in length about the valve noise and valve problems with the Kohler Command series. The valve kit will take care of the lifter noise in the singles, but will not help in the twins.

As far as the spacer problem you have, we have seen that once on a Dixie Chopper that came into the shop last year. Kohler informed us that the problem has happened, but not to the extent of sending out an update. What we had to do was to replace the entire head becouse the washer came apart and the spring wore into the aluminum head.

:sleeping:
    Parts Guy

5. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

Parts Guy, check your update book from Kohler, There are two kits to help the lifter noise on start up for the single cylinder engines. They are new push rods with solid ends instead of hollow tubes, two different part numbers, pending which single cylinder engine model number. The kit I listed is for the twins, with the lifter noise that comes and goes while running.

6. Mr.Wrench

Mr.Wrench LawnSite Member
    from N.H.

Ducky, I haven't run into any of the spacer problems that you described. Most of the problems that Partsguy and Jman had described have been going on for years and have been supossedly solved a while ago through either recalls or update kits. It seems that there is a kit now for every one of Kohler's Command problems. There are several kits for the CH, CV & CS engines. You mentioned that you had a Kohler Command, but what model do you have?
    Josh

7. ducky1

The one with the spacer problem is a CV 25S. We have had several small problems with the CV 25 but the valve train problem had been about the worst so far. I used to work at a shop and got to go to all of the Kohler updates but now I don't get to go. Kind of lost out on their problems and fixes for them.

8. Mr.Wrench

Mr.Wrench LawnSite Member
    from N.H.

I had a really weird problem that caused replacement of a complete engine on a CV25s not to long ago. Apparently someone at the factory at Kohler was asleep, or it was a Friday afternoon. During assembly one of the dowl pins around the studs that hold the head to the block got crushed sideways and caused a bad head gasket seal. After about 50 hours of operation the engine was burning a ton of oil. The engine had ingested enough dirt in 50 hours past the head gasket to wipe out the Nickel plating on the cylinders. Talk about a CV25 problem.
    Josh

9. PartsGuy

PartsGuy LawnSite Member

Jman

Checked my update book from this year and all it had was the one kit for single cylinder....nothing for twins.

Thanks for the info though!

Parts Guy:sleeping:

10. ducky1

Jman
    Finally got the 24-722-135S kit in and it is for the twins, We have snow now so I don't have time to put it in now. The only thing that the kit did not have is the washer for the valve spring. I had another engine for parts so thats not a problem. Thanks for the info.