Kohler Courage good engines?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mower&more1986, May 20, 2008.

1. mower&more1986

mower&more1986 LawnSite Senior Member

i mean for the homeowner. I thought herd that in the beginning of production they weren't so good engines? do you guys think they got the bugs out yet. i tend to lean more to Briggs and stratton intek engines because of Ive know them to be pretty dependable.
    edit: ive also notice that toro is offering the intek in there lawn tractors now
    http://toro.com/home/tractors/lx/466lx.html

2. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

Post this in the Commercial lawn mowing forum and you might get more response.

If I'm not mistaken this is the one people would buy on a $2500 lawn tractor and then got stuck with a $2000 bill for a new engine if it blew. You definitively need courage to buy one.

3. VegetiveSteam

VegetiveSteam LawnSite Senior Member

Are you talking twin or single cylinder? There have been a few bugs on the single but they have worked the bugs out quite well. There are a lot of these engines out there and the twin cylinder has had no real problems that I am aware of.

4. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

they are a good homeowner engine as of late. they had problems with the cams and the rockers on the singles but had those problems worked out before the twins hit the market. if someone was useing them for commercial use they had the wrong engine to begin with.

5. mower&more1986

mower&more1986 LawnSite Senior Member