kohler courage series

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by nmurph, Apr 6, 2006.

1. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

rob,
    i trust you opinion as someone who seems to be fair, unbiased, with well thought-out opinions backed by experience and training. with that caveat out of the way, what is your opinion on the Kohler Courage series. how do they stack up against the competition when used in their intended applications?

2. davhul

davhul LawnSite Member
    from Gray,Ga

Correct me if i'm wrong,But I dont think you can get internal replacement parts such as rods, crank, pistons.;) for the courage line.They are intended to last around 600Hrs.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Strange that you would ask this question today. Today was the first time I had a chance to work on a Courage engine and it was only a general tune-up and service. For this reason I have not had the opportunity to form a opinion on this line as of yet. There was a lot of hype over this line at the Dealer meetings I attended but thats about all I can say. Kohler came out with this line to compete with Briggs and Tecumseh in the box store wars and try their hand at this market. Are they built cheaper than their other lines ? I Don't really know, But some quality must have been set aside to lower the price in my opinion. To sum it up I can't say they are a good engine or a bad engine. If I lay my wrenches and experience aside it is my personal practice to not purchase anything new to any market for a few years, That gives the manufacturers any time needed to correct any problems or flaws in the design.

Sorry It isn't much to go on but it's the best I can do at this point in time.
    BTW, Thanks for the compliment.

Take care

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You can in fact purchase all internal parts for this line, But only standard piston and rings and standard rod. So once the cylinder and crankshaft is worn past the wear limits the only fix is a new crank or short-block.

One other thing. While doing this service I found it difficult on the forward tilt hood getting my fingers between the top air shroud and intake manifold to remove the spark plug wire. And with the oil filter placed in a upward position it made a larger mess removing due to oil running down the sides, The plug above the filter done nothing to drain the filter because of it's position.

5. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

well, you did what i expected you to do. you stuck to the facts in a logical and unbiased way. you don't know, so you don't make off-the-cuff remarks. that is to be commended. so much of what is on this site is opinion, which is well and fine if it is given as such. but there is much bloviating by mis-informed folks who are just dying to say something. you know the old saying: something to the effect that it's better to keep silent and have people wonder what you know, than to open you mouth and confirm what they thought.
    back to the subject of Kohler Courage engines. i am like you in that i am reluctant to be an early-adopter. let someone else pay for it if the manufacturer has cut corners in R+D and testing. that said, i bit on the Courage series on my Hustler. i have had several Kohler engines over the years and have always had excellent service. i did not do enough research to realize that this was kohler's entry-level motor, and that it was a new series. i was/am trading on my past experience. i hope my lack of research doesn't come back to bite me. i just hope in my use as a serious homeowner with a relatively small yard that this motor will serve me well for many years.
    one little thought i do have on you comment concerning quality being lowered to meet a cost point. this is true, however there also exist a trickle-down of quality and manufacturing improvements due to the R+D $ that are spent on the higher line products. this can allow manufacturers to create and install higher quality parts at a lower cost.
    thanks rob.
    murph