Kohler CV-18 not charging...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jim dailey, Sep 4, 2005.

1. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Kohler CV-18 on G.D. Surfer. 12.8 volts across the battery. Center wire on regulator has 12.8 volts, while unplugged. Disconnected plug on regulator and checked A.C. voltage on stator leads with WOT. NO A.C. voltage is present. I checked resistance between the staor leads and it shows an OPEN (no continuity). I have swapped regulators with a known used one from the machine's previous engine, with no change in the results. I am open to all expert mechanical opinions. I think that we are going to end-up replacing the stator, but would like to hear everyone's opinion. Thank you, JIM.

2. jim dailey

Correction: I had a bad ground: I DO have AC voltage on the stator legs. Measuring AC on the white wires to ground with WOT: 6.0 volts on one leg and 8.0 volts on the other leg. I still show an open on both legs (no resistance) when I check for ohms from each leg to ground.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know about expert anymore. :dizzy:

4. jim dailey

WELL, you have to be MORE expert than I. What do you think? The Stator or the Regulator? I have "Battery Back-Up"
    to keep this thing going: 3 batteries on the charger every night. HELP !!!

5. Restrorob

Testing on ohms one white wire at a time to ground should be a open circuit, If not the stator is shorted to ground.
    Put a test lead on each white wire should be a closed circuit if not the stator is bad. But the magnets could have popped loose and messed the stator up.
    Remember what I said about removing the flywheel.

6. jim dailey

OK, Rob, I have found a problem. Testing the stator on the machine: One white wire to ground, individually, both are open (no continuity). Testing white wire to white wire for continuity shows an OPEN. I have a seperate stator from the old engine, which shows continuity/white wire to white wire. I will just have to clean-up the contacts on the old stator with a steel toothbrush, and then start the repair job in the morning. What a wonderful Labor Day I will have. I am just going to have to get it done. It will be a relief to not have to recharge the machine off of the truck after cutting every 2 lawns. That is getting to be a real pain in the butt. I'll let you know how it turns-out.

7. Restrorob

Just for future reference Jim, Kohler has 3 regulated charging systems, A 15 amp, 20 amp and 25 amp. The alternator in your truck puts out 75 or more amps. Should you have the need to jump your unit off with your truck do it with the engine OFF. If you need to charge the battery off your truck disconnect the positive battery cable on the unit.
    Putting too many amps into your units system could blow all kinds of things up, So don't be suprised if you find the regulator bad also.
    Lots of luck

8. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

You test for AC from the stator on this engine from leg to leg. Not leg to ground. If you are showing open from leg to leg then the stator is bad. The file below may help. It is from the Kohler web site

Attached Files:

9. jim dailey

WELL, Boys and Girls, I go it done. Spent a couple of hours this morning and tore it apart. My dealer didn't have a new one in stock, so I took the old one off of the old engine and swapped them. In the near future, I will order a new one, online, and change it out again. I now have 14.2 volts across the battery. There was a mountain of crap around the old one, and up inside of the flywheel. It was unbelievable how much crud can gather up in there. Of course, the year has been a rather dry and dusty one, so it figures. SO, once again, I am cooking (with gasoline), and charging up on electricity. Take care everyone, and Fixer and Restorob and everyone else who contributed: Thanks for all of the great information...JIM.