Kohler CV-22 crankshaft gear position

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by KenM, May 3, 2011.

1. KenM

KenM LawnSite Member

OK, time for a quick update. Measured the oil pressure before doing anything with the oil pump. Looks like the pressure climbs to 35 psi and stays there. Sounds like a good pressure, sounds like the oil pump relief valve is functioning. For giggles, I hooked up a compression gauge to measure cylinder compression. After a few cycles, there was none. Zero. Zip. Put my trusty leakdown tester on, and it showed no leakage. But wait? What's that noise coming from the dipstick tube? Air? But why does the leakdown tester say AOK? Hmmmm. Tear the unit apart. Head gaskets seem OK. Pull the pistons out, remove the compression rings, measure the end gaps. Spec for this with a used block is max .030. I'm measuring up to .106. Well well. Why didn't I look at this when I was rebuilding the engine? Because at the time, and even now, the leakdown tester says no leakage, anyplace. Plus, the engine was running OK until a rod went south. Remember the business about burning a LOT of oil, did as leakdown test, was AOK, decided the oil was coming in via an intake valve guide. So we bought all the stuff to remedy that, and maybe all along the smoke was due to really really worn rings, and the leakdown tester lied to me. I am really torqued because I wasted a pile of bucks and who knows how many hours doing work that may not have been necessary.

Checked the bore and piston dimensions and they are OK, so today we bought new rings and of course a couple of head gasket kits. Another couple of hundred.

Stay tuned for the next chapter. And meanwhile, any idea about what's going on with the leakdown tester? At one point I remember slowly turning the crank beyond TDC with the tester attached, and sure enough, about when the exhaust valve should be opening the tester shows a lot of leakage. So, I figured the tester is OK. Way wrong about that.

2. VegetiveSteam

VegetiveSteam LawnSite Senior Member

What do you want to know about cams and cranks? I may be able to help. I've been through this a time or two.

3. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

It would probably be easier to tell the people at TIMEX how to wind a watch.
    ( Just some of my collection, gearsets are bagged)

IMG_0143.JPG

4. piston slapper

BTW...
    If you google "cranks and cams" you'll probably find my company.
    I seem to have alot of them.....

SLAPPER

5. VegetiveSteam

VegetiveSteam LawnSite Senior Member

You just seemed a little confused on some issues with Kohler cams and cranks so I thought I would try to help if I could. I see I probably can't.

6. piston slapper

Sorry about that...

I was trying to bait Sharpcut into an intelligent conversation...
    My mistake......Thanx VegetiveSteam

7. tread lightly services

tread lightly services LawnSite Member

ok piston slapper... i have a riddle for you..i have a ch20 engine i see you say that the horizontal heads cant be used on the vertical shaft engines.

but i have a horizontal shaft engine that needs a head, could i use vertical shaft heads???
    it shouldnt matter what side the oil drainback holes are on in a horizontal engine...am i correct or out in left field??

also i see you say the 18-22 hp models have the same heads, and the 25-27 hp models have the same heads....what EXACTLY is the difference?? i know they share valvetrain componets, is the bore size different??? and if so by how much?

8. piston slapper

The difference in the heads is the position of the drain hole.
    Intake side for horiz exhaust side for intake.
    I have drilled them out to make them work. You just have to tap the unused hole and insert a setscrew.
    The differences in horsepower are in the carburetion, ignition, and governor settings.
    The longblocks are the same.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. tread lightly services

tread lightly services LawnSite Member

awesome! thank you very much.

one more,..what is the difference between the 25-27 hp heads thar wont make them fit the 18-23 hp engines??

10. piston slapper

Combustion chamber diameter and depth.
    Merry Christmas.

Slapper
    Posted via Mobile Device