Kohler CV-22S No(very little) spark.Help!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by j.foster62, May 19, 2004.

1. j.foster62

j.foster62 LawnSite Member
    from CT

1997 Z222 Toro Z-Master
    Kohler CV-22s Engine

Engine died after 1 minute of running. Thought it loaded up & flooded but.............NO SPARK!!!
    Put new plugs in...STILL NO SPARK!
    Put screwdriver in plug wire and I have A LITTLE SPARK!
    Removed plastic cover to expose coils(2). Cleaned & checked everything...still no spark.
    Ignition consists of:
    Stator (for charging battery?)
    Rectifier/Regulator(for charging battery?)
    Coils (2) (#24 584 09 Module-Ignition)..................$59.58 ea.
    Module-Speed advance(brain?) (#24 584 09)....................$80.75

Do I spend $199.91 plus tax to see if this will fix it? I have checked all the safety features i.e. seat switch, e-brake switch, neutral safety switch, etc. It cranks over excellent but no spark at new plugs but very little spark with screwdriver.
    Both coils can't go bad at once, can they? Is it the Module speed advance (brain)?
    I don't wanna spend $200+ to find out that's not the problem!!
    Help me....please?!?!?!?!

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

It always was the coils on my 22's. see if they can check them for you.
    John

3. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

The SAM (Module-Speed advance) has to have 12 volts to run. It also has a 'ground-to-kill' wire just like other coils. I thank the kill wire is white if I remember right. First thing to to make sure it is not the mower causing the problem. Like a bad safety switch. Your owner's manual will have a wiring layout for you to go by. More often than not a no-start or no-run problem is not the engine but what it is mounted on. If you do not have a manual Toro web site should have one for down load. Good luck

4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Check sparkplug to make sure gap is correct.

5. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

Have the coils tested. There is an ohm's resistance test that can be done to determine which coil is bad, if any. There are two terminals with wires attached to them on the coils. The most common problem area was with the skinny terminal. Check resistance from the skinny terminal to ground. The resistance should be 900 ohms, or higher. If the resistance is below 300 ohms, the coil is defective. One bad coil can cause no spark out of both. Personally, if you find one bad I would replace them both. The part number for the coils is 24 584 15-S. Retail should be somewhere around $40, plus freight. Also make sure to check what fixer told you also, very important too.

6. j.foster62

from CT

BINGO!!!!! Jman!!! You are the friggin' MAN!!!!!.
    Tested 'em just like you said. One was bad. Threw a new one on and......."chick....VROOOOOOMMMM!!!":eek: :D :eek: :D

Boy, I'd like to have YOUR phone # (via email of course) in case I ever have another problem.:eek:

7. John Gamba

from ct

What about me :cry: :cry:
    John

8. j.foster62

from CT

Yes!!! You were what put me in that direction, and Jman put the icing on the cake (how to execute it)!!!!

See if you can solve this one???
    1985 Bobcat Skidsteer 843.
    Starting problem:
    Starter spins. Won't engage with flywheel. I took the starter out and put a new solenoid on it. Bench tested it...fine. Put it back in and worked for a few days...then the "not engeging" problem again.
    Took the starter back out. Cleaned it all up (little oil leak is gummin' it up a lil'). Bench tested it....FINE!!
    Put it back in...started fine first time. Then the problem all over again. New/good battery. Cables/connections all clean and tight.
    Bendix spring??? When "clicking" the ignition key it will only engage maybe 1 out of 25 times.
    This happened a long time ago & replacing the starter with a new one solved the problem for a year or two. These friggin' starters are $325!!!!!! The solenoid is a standard AC Delco GM part ($30).
    When I bench test 'em...the starter gear throws out fine and spins, but won't do it when it's installed. Low voltage???
    Ring gear (flywheel) is fine along with starter gear!

9. John Gamba

from ct

Thank you:D :D

Did you check the throw out lever??? the fork looking thing with small rollers on it. We use to turn then around on rebuild if they where still good. or the throw out collar??

Or low voltage?
    John

Lets get this fixed!!!!!!!!! More options!!!!!!!

10. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

One other thing to check is the starter drive (teeth). You should be able to spin the teeth over in one direction freely, and when you try to turn it the other way it should turn the whole armature. It has a clutch built into the drive. If it spins free in both directions replace the starter drive itself.