Kohler CV14T governor problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by caddison, Jul 23, 2005.

1. caddison

caddison LawnSite Member

Well I have searched the site high and low and everything points to a bad scenario....I was having carb problems with my Exmark Viking. I got a kit for the carb and replaced it....probably should have just bought a carb for it. Anyway this unit never has seemed to reach the specified RPM at fast idle so I readjusted the governor....bad move....now the unit will run at full speed and the governor seems to be not working at all now. After several attempts I have gotten the fast idle back where it belongs but the governor does not seem to be functioning when the blades are engaged. I have a bad feeling there may be an internal problem. I have removed all of the linkage and reinstalled and adjusted according to the kohler manual. I thought I may have bent the linkage from the governor to the carb but even bending it hasn't helped. It seems hard to imagine all this trouble from just making a slight adjustment to the governor. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

First of all the High Speed RPM is adjusted on the throttle control plate and not the gov., My guess is when you miss adjusted the gov. and started the engine the gov. regulating pin dropped off the gear. I have seen this in the past. I would replace the gov. link rod (never bend on these rods they are sensitive to proper gov. operation) and try the adjustment a last time making sure you hold the carb. in full throttle position and turning the gov. shaft counterclockwise. If it fails to function properly R & R the engine, take the pan off and reinstall the regulating pin and start the adjustment all over again.
    The key word is COUNTERCLOCKWISE to keep this from happening again.

3. caddison

caddison LawnSite Member

I actually did follow all of the Kohler procedures when I made the adjustment to the governor (yea I actually read the manual before attempting). I held the throttle in the full open position and made the adjustment in the counter clockwise position. There seems to be no spring tension at fast idle. I'll try a few more adjustments and if that fails I'll pop the pan off of it and check the governor regulating pin. Thanks for the inpute!