Kohler CV15 excessive oil usage

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by EngineeredLawns, May 6, 2008.

1. EngineeredLawns

EngineeredLawns LawnSite Member

I have a Kohler 15hp on my Toro Proline. The engine has maybe 100 hours on it. The engine oil is disappearing. When it starts on the choke, it smokes very little, cut the choke off, no more smoking. The engine smokes a little when I throttle back to an idle, and stops smoking at idle. There is not oil leaking outside of the engine. Any thoughts. Thanks

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It's going somewhere...

At the least I would check the oil plug make sure it's tight, also the oil filter.
    Then there's a little plug right at the base of the oil filter towards the front, check that also.
    Then check around the base of the filler tube, make sure that hasn't come loose (careful with this they're not in there but so good and are FUN to re-seat, but check it for it should be snug).

Good luck, the CV15's are great engines but they appear to have stopped making them...

3. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

If your sure about that, then it's clearly burning it. Hard to tell what it could be:

- head gasket leaking into cylinder
    - valve guide leaking
    - oil control ring clogged or stuck
    - piston rings worn
    - crankcase breather clogged (high pressure in crankcase)
    - breather seal broken (check for oil at air filter housing)

4. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

Tops, Your a trip lol.... Anyhow is it smoking on start-up? does it smoke any other time? Are you checking the dipstick correctly? Do not screw the cap down just set it in the dipstick hole to check oil level, if you screw the cap in it will always be wrong. I hope the CV-15T ain't a dinosaur yet, it's a sturdy-turdy reliable, used 'em down to 35 lbs compression and still running, to this day, believe in a miracle, these are tough ol' guts....

5. EngineeredLawns

EngineeredLawns LawnSite Member

My bad, while the manual says it is a CV, on top of the engine is says SV or SC.

It puffs a little smoke while the choke is on, pull the throttle back, and it stops. When I throttle down, slight smoking until the engine settles in the new rpm's. It is burning it some where.

No leaks anywhere outside of the engine.

Engine should not be worn out at 100 hours.

I am trying some Sea foam to see if maybe the exhaust valve is stuck or not closing correctly.

The oil is also getting very dirty with 15 hours on it.

Thanks for the replies

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If the oil turns black fast and it's losing oil that could be a sign of leaking or worn piston rings...