Kohler CV16S Carb problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by cmoser, Sep 25, 2004.

1. cmoser

cmoser LawnSite Member

I am having problems with the carburetion on my Kohler Command 16hp, I have replaced the fuel lines and filter, new air filter, oil filter and spark plug. If I leave it sit, fuel floods the cylinder and eventually the crankcase. I have tried everything I can think of...does anybody know how to rebuild the Walbro carb or can it even be rebuilt? I have it off right now and their does'nt seem to be anything I can take apart, It has the solenoid on the bottom and I think that might be stuck open. When it first starts it runs smooth for about 2-3 mins and then starts acting like it is starved for fuel then dies, it restarts when choked and dies again whithin a couple of mins. Anybody know of a place I might buy a replacement at a fair price. Any advice will be apprecialted.

2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Your fuel stavation and flooding inficate to me that you probably have dirt in the fuel circuits[stavation], and dirt between the needle and seat on the float[flooding]. Pull the float bowl, dissasemble all parts,[complete carb] spray with carb cleaner and then compressed air. Reasemble. If you have never seen this done it is probably best to get help from some who has successfully completed this task.

3. cmoser

cmoser LawnSite Member

I pulled the fuel bowl and the needle conected to the float was completely froze up with a white crust, I had to force it a little to get it loose. After completely disassembling the whole carb I let it soak in carb dip over night reassembled with the same parts and now it runs like a champ.

4. mggreen

mggreen LawnSite Member
    from RI

i have almost the same problem but it's spitting fuel out the front end when starting and all of a sudden it's putting out some blue smoke, any ideas?

5. twstack

twstack LawnSite Member

Does the fuel bowl just "pop" off of the bottom of the carburetor body? I just got a mower with this engine and I believe something is froze inside there...

6. mggreen

mggreen LawnSite Member
    from RI

yes it does. My engine is too far gone now. Mine keeps loading up with fuel when the key is off. If you have the same problem put a fuel shutoff in.

7. twstack

twstack LawnSite Member

I got the carb. float bowl off and cleaned all the parts, but it's still just running off of gas that i pour directly in the throttle body. Is it common for the solenoid to go bad or the valve that the solenoid/fuel cut-off goes to gum up?

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The simple solution:

When getting ready to turn it off, reduce the rpm's to idle,
    close the fuel shut-down valve, and walk away.
    I do it like that on all my engines any more.
    Problem fixed.

Don't forget to turn it back on before you start it :p

9. betmr

betmr LawnSite Bronze Member

Remove solenoid, energize it with the battery. With a screw driver, feel for magnetism, No magnetism = bad solenoid.

When you cleaned out the Carb., did you use a spay can of "CARBURETOR" cleaner, and spray it in all the little ports, and all the needle valve seats ? Sounds to me like varnish build-up in all the jets.