Kohler CV16S Fules Starved

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by yak, May 31, 2008.

1. yak

yak LawnSite Member
    from MA

Hi Guys, I'm looking for some advice on a problem with a 9 year old Kohler CV16S.

It runs fine for maybe a half hour, then eventually cuts out. I've replaced the carburetor & solenoid, checked all the wiring & connections, replaced the fuel filter and fuel hose upstream from the filter.

When it dies, I can see that there's no fuel in the filter housing. If I wait, it will eventually fill to about half full and I can run it again for a while.

The port from the fuel tank is clear, but it just won't continue to draw fuel at a reasonable rate. When it does run, it barely draws enough fuel to show anything in the filter housing.

Any ideas?

thanks, Jack

2. yak

yak LawnSite Member
    from MA

That title should have said "Fuel" starved...

3. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds a case of vapor lock(gas cap clog?) even perhaps dirty gas tank and or screen inside tank.

4. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

A blocked vent hole in the gas cap could cause your symptoms. Try loosening the cap for a few seconds and see what happens.

5. yak

yak LawnSite Member
    from MA

There is no screen in the gas tank, it flows directly into the fuel line. The problem persists when I remove the gas cap, and it's a new cap, too.

6. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Am I wrong? I think these have a mechanical fuel pump.

7. yak

yak LawnSite Member
    from MA

It did it again yesterday, going up a slight incline. I had replaced the Kohler fuel filter with a generic one with a larger housing. Could it be something as simple as having too much airspace in the filter housing?