1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kohler CV18

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MOOSE, Aug 2, 2005.

1. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

Kohler Command 18 horse motor on a Scag 61" walkbehind. The battery doesnt seem to charge when running the motor. It does not have the sam or black box on the side of motor. I'm thinking it is the regulator on the side of motor. I know its not the stator cuz I've had problems with one on another motor. So any help would be appreciated.
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If you know it's not the stator then check for battery voltage on the center wire on the regulator, If voltage is there replace the regulator.

Btw, I've seen the magnets come unglued from the flywheel and wipe out the stator or stick to it on three units this season and of course no charging !
  3. thecrankshaft

thecrankshaft LawnSite Member

to test stator and flywheel, disconnect b+ wire from rectifier regulator and run engine at full speed. check for ac voltage across stator leads, should be 28 volts AC or greater. if so, stator and flywheel are in good shape. if not, check resistance between stator leads and ground.

if you have the 28 volts ac, check for at least 4 volts from the b+ wire on the rectifier regulator. if you have at least 4 volts, and still no charging, rectifier regulator should be replaced. if you don't have 4 volts, make sure battery has 4 volts, then check the wiring.

post back.