kohler cv20s

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by itteitj, Aug 29, 2006.

1. itteitj

itteitj LawnSite Member
    from RI

I have a Kohler cv20s on a scag 48" tiger cub year 2003 with 350 hours. It is very hard starting when cold, after that it will run fine for rest of the day. It used to start fine with full choke and half throttle, now it cranks a few seconds and almost starts. this is done about 10 times before starting. I have tried many combinations with choke and throttle without success. I am not sure what to check first. There is no fuel smell and no backfiring at all. It almost seems like a lack of fuel or electrical. As I said once it starts it is fine for the day. Any help will be appreciated.
    Tom

2. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

Check the cable adjustment to make sure it can fully close the choke butterfly. If it is, watch the choke butterfly while trying to start the engine the first time in the morning. If the butterfly is snapping open and close, install a choke repair kit. Those choke plates are spring loaded and the spring gets weak with age. The new kit should rememdy the problem.

3. itteitj

itteitj LawnSite Member
    from RI

I examined the choke plate and it was I would 80% closed when on choke. I pushed it in the rest of the way and it stayed in but I pulled it out and it stayed at about 80%. Is this correct or should it be fully closed when cold? Also I sprayed carb cleaner on the plate and on the spring on side which is the spring I assume you were talking about. After all this it started right up. I also changed the fuel filter.
    Tom

4. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

fully closed on and fully open off

5. itteitj

itteitj LawnSite Member
    from RI

It is definitely the choke not closing all the way. It closes 80 % and will not start in that position. Once it is pushed in all the way it starts right up. I will do the choke kit as soon as I get it. Is this difficult to do?
    Tom