kohler cv25 hunting at full throttle

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by tamorris, Apr 10, 2005.

1. tamorris

tamorris LawnSite Member

i have a woods 2560 that has acv25 kohler on it that i am having trouble with the governor surging at full throttle. ihave changed the fuel filter,the oil and filter. i called the factory and the tech told me to try and move the choke control lever gradually to the on position until it stopped surging.i did this and it worked.he said that this would tell me if it was running to lean.now what?i really dont want to run this way,becuase something just isnt right.i also rechecked my oil and found that i had overfilled it a little,so i drained a little out.im not sure that would make a diferrance.also thelow idle speed adjustment screw was readjusted so that it would idle at start-up after choke switch shutt off.that might have been my first mistake,since i dont have a tach.could it be that some oil got into the pulse line on the fuel pump when i overfilled it with oil.i do have aservice manual but i am not equiped with the experience or know how for carb jobs.any advice would be helpful. :help: :cry:

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

The engine on our Woods done the same thing until you enguage the deck or drive the machine. Anytime you put a load on the engine it would stop surging. I assume yours is the same way. I moved the govenor spring down one hole on the govenor lever so that its in the last hole. You could try doing that. It solved our problem.

3. tamorris

tamorris LawnSite Member

travis,thanks for the advice.so by moving the spring down one hole on the lever ,it made the governor less sensitive?

4. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Too much oil is bad. What type of oil did you use? 10-30? Before making any carb adjustments you need to let the enigine run for about 10 minutes, at idle set the adjustment low and right as the engine wants to die due to low rpm's, start increasing it till it's smooth. That should have you right around 1200-1300 rpm's.
    Recheck the oil level. Keep it below the max line. Did these problem start after your tune up?

5. tamorris

tamorris LawnSite Member

i use castrol 30 wt, this is what the previous owner used when i bought it from him with 307 hrs on it.i never really noticed it until i first started to use it. i thought maybe when i adjusted the idle that maybe affected the fast idle or governor. ill try what you said .thanks

6. tamorris

tamorris LawnSite Member

travis, moved governor spring to next hole .did not work.might try next hole if i have one.thanks

7. KathysLGC

I know with the Kohler Command engines you need to use 10-W30 not straight 30 weight oil. Try the 10-W30.

8. tamorris

tamorris LawnSite Member

i realize that is exactly what it states in the owners manual but do you think there has been damage done .also how will the engine react to a change in oil?

9. tamorris

tamorris LawnSite Member

this mower rides like a buck board wagon.any chance i could get asmoother ride by letting equal amounts of air out on each side

10. KathysLGC

With hydraulic lifters oil type/amount is very important. I would get an other filter and do an oil change. The engine should take about 1.5 qts but check to make sure your under the max line. See what it does with the oil it wants.