Kohler CV740 - Engine speed surges

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by pmichaels, Aug 15, 2005.

1. pmichaels

pmichaels LawnSite Member

My Super Z with 87 hrs has just started to have an engine speed that surges constantly when it is not under any type of load. The engine will not idle at the normal low speed as it did when new but it will idle at higher speeds as long as it can surge. I do not believe the governor sensitivity adjustment is the issue here. This is a cv740s-0017 engine. (It does Not have EFI.) Thoughts anyone? TKS.

2. Nes-Tech

Nes-Tech LawnSite Member

Check the little spring on the governor shaft. I had one to the exact same thing and all I had to do was reconnect the spring, 30 second job!

3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

As Nes-Tech said, check the spring.
    Also, There could be some debris in your carburetor from the way you are explaining it.
    Plugged carb jets will make the unit run the way you are describing.
    Has your dealer taken a look at the unit?
    Let me know.

Pj

4. pmichaels

The springs are in their proper place. I did blow some air through the fuel line. No effect was noticed. I have not taken the carburetor apart yet, I am debating if I should just call the dealer or make a continued effort. Any thoughts on how to tell if the carburetor is working properly?

5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Unless your familiar with the inner workings of the carb, I would call your dealer.

Pj

6. pmichaels

That is what I am doing. TKS

7. Nes-Tech

Nes-Tech LawnSite Member

What did the problem turn out to be?

8. pmichaels

It will be 2 or more weeks before the dealer can get to it. That date is not confirmed yet so I am still waiting getting it inspected by the dealer.

9. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I know that this sounds dumb especially for how low your hours are but next time it surges pull the air filter off while it is running. I had a kawasaki that surge after 75 hours due to a dirty but clean looking air filter.

10. Nes-Tech

Nes-Tech LawnSite Member

So it's been a couple of weeks, What was the problem?