Kohler Delux Air Filter Kit

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Spurgeon, Jun 28, 2001.

1. Spurgeon

Spurgeon Guest

I am supposed to pick up my new Toro Z master tomorrow. I asked my dealer about the Delux Air Filter Kit for the Kohler 23hp. He gave me a price of $203.00. This seems out of line to me. The Toro Part number is 99-4662. Anyone have any idea if this can be bought for less money? If so where? Is this air cleaner worth the extra expense? All replies will be appreciated.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Is this simular to the Donaldson Turbo Filter?

3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Most likely the Nelson filter system. I paid $150 or so for it with a Kohler part #. With Toro taking their share, that sounds about right. This was a year ago too, so the price with Kohler may have gone up.

4. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

It's worth that price and a whole lot more.

5. jonboy

jonboy LawnSite Member

Nelson filters are well worth the money. Savings in standard filters can pay for the filter in one year.

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Do not cheap out here,the extra filter will extend the life of the engine by a substantial amount.Dirty air is the biggest killer of small engines,it gets in the oil,and scores the cylinders.Now the filter will last longer,so your not as likely to let it plug up,and run with it dirty,killing the engine,and power/economy.

7. MLS

MLS LawnSite Member

We paid about 195.00 for our nelson filters last month and I think that they will wind up paying for themselves by the end of the year. If you are going to install it yourself then make sure that you use the new valve cover bolts that comes with the filter, as the old ones aren't long enough with the filter attached

8. Tropical Trim

Tropical Trim LawnSite Member

Sounds like that Nelson filters are great filters. Where can I order them from? Also Elm mentioned the Donoldson filter where can these be found? Thanks for the help.

9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

The Donaldson Turbo Air Filter (top center of picture) comes standard on the Stainless Steel DC's. It has a Turbo that spins and keeps the bigger stuff out and a cup that the fine dust gets trapped in. The filter itself is a long cylinder type filter. This is pictured in the top center of this picture. The Turbo is out of the picture here, but looks like the Turbo on the Chaff Screen on the left. Does anyone have a picture of the Nelson Filter?
    [​IMG]

10. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

Have you tried K&N? I use one on my Kohler. It had a round filter. Just give K&N the dimensions of your filter and see if they have one to match it.