1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

kohler ecm trouble, help!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wattsup, Apr 17, 2002.

1. wattsup

wattsup LawnSite Member

I have been having problems with my engine. I can mow for about 30 minutes and all the sudden the engine looses power and puffs black smoke. I thought it was the carb, but it turns out the shop says the module is bad. What is the module? How much does it cost to repair? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

25hp horizontal Kohler

Also, I have a friend with the exact same engine and problem. My engine has 141 hrs, his has 116 hrs.
  2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Good Luck Buddy.

I don't want to sound like a pessimist but the problem is the Kohler 25. Period.

I suggest you use the search feature and read about them and then you will decide to get it fixed and put it up for sale.

Better yet, here is some great reading for you from a guy who

I am not bashing Kohler, I have a 15 and a 26 EFI which are excellent runners but it seems like some moron design team had a monday morning hangover and put alot of bad ideas into that boat anchor.

Good Luck.
  3. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

How old is the engine. It has a two year warranty that will cover any part on the engine that is defective. Also, what module are they talking about? An ignition module or the spark advance module?