Kohler electric starter part no.?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Cleve, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

I have a Toro 36" walk-behind that I've used on and off since new in 1990. This is still a great mower and I intend to keep it as long as possible. The mower has a recoil start and it works O.K.. I really would like to add a electric starter to it. I don't want all the electrics that would normally be needed. I just want to add the starter to the engine. I'm going to add a battery and a switch to start the engine. I intend to recharge the battery only as needed with my charger.
    I really would like to find the needed part number for the correct starter motor. I got plenty of parts manuals and parts list for the original engine but nothing that shows an electric starter or part number. I do know this engine was available and the flywheel is toothed for it. The block has the bolt holes for it.
    The engine is the Kohler model no. CV14T-1412. Kohler command 14HP.
    I would appreciate any info.
    Cleve.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

3. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Late again, but check NAPA #5770 as well.

4. Cleve

Male, from Rockmart, GA

Thanks for the help.
    I did notice that the Tulsa engine warehouse unit has 13 teeth and the NAPA unit has 11 teeth. Is this a major problem?
    Since I have a NAPA close It would help if I just picked it up.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The 11 teeth will be a smaller diameter gear. Hold the starter to the side of the block, look down on top of the flywheel to see if the teeth will mesh if it were to engage.....

6. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

NAPA's website does show #5770 with an 11 tooth bendix. I didn't check their website last night, referring only to their 2007 hard copy catalog, which does show a 13 tooth. The catalog crosses the #5770 to Kohler numbers 12 098 22 as well as the last two numbers of 04, 08 and 13. It's certainly a discrepency that needs to be resolved with NAPA if you go that route.

In addition, you should check NAPA's price. The price I see is considerably more than TEW's price w/shipping. NAPA can have it next day, with no shipping cost, if it's stocked in one of the warehouses serving your dealer.
    TEW provides good delivery times as well.

7. Cleve

Male, from Rockmart, GA

Thanks again.
    And, looks like I'll be ordering the one from TEW. NAPA's price is $125 and TEW has theirs on sale for $65. Even with shipping will save quite a bit. And as this is kinda experimental will be easier to justify.
    By the way, do you know the bolt size for these? I'm pretty sure it is 5/16" but not sure of thread.

8. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

The bolts are metric
    M8 x 1.25 thread
    Everything on the engine is metric.

9. rwaters

rwaters LawnSite Senior Member
    from Online

that is why I always recommend going to a dealer NAPA does not care about your lawnmower they sell car parts.

10. Cleve

Male, from Rockmart, GA

I ordered it from TEW. Only problem I have with them is that they don't have a phone order system. You have to use the web site. I did try the live chat but only thing I learned from them is that my engine doesn't show any electric start parts. LOL......:) I just wanted to see if they had a reference to my engine.
    Sure hope it fits anyway as otherwise I'll have to return and pay 15% restocking fee (and shipping).
    I haven't worked with those folks before so will be a new place to try.
    Thanks again for everybody's help.