Kohler engine hard to start when engine is hot

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnchopper, Jul 20, 2004.

1. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

Ive noticed this on some of our Kohlers we've had its happening on our Walker now is that when the engine is hot especially now in the hot temps its hard to start it again it will turn over about 15-20 times before it will start to fire off.
    is this common??? is it some kind of vapor lock or somethin??

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I work in a Walker Dealership and I work on Kohlers all the time and I have not noticed this or heard anything about it. Kohlers in Walker do run a bit hotter because most people do not keep the grass and such blown out on the machines as they should. How many engines have you had this to happen with and what type, carb or EFI? CH25 or CH26? Year of machine? Tell me a little more info and I will go from there.

3. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

we've had it happen on our toro 350 z master it had a kohler 25 hp I think our Walker now has a 25 or a 26 hp I will check to make sure exactly

4. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Happens on my 350 too sometimes. I can tell you how to stop it but everyone here is gonna have a cow and say you will ruin your engine. Turn it off at full throttle. No more backfires, no more dieseling, no more hard starts.

5. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Well I am not going to have a cow about what you said because ALL the engine manufacturers keep changing there mind on this matter. I will read in one update bulletin that say shut off at full and then the next one will say shut off at idle and then then next one will be back full throttle again. I have started to tell customers to do the opposite of what they are doing now and see it that helps when asked about this. With the cheap gas that is coming out now days and the EPA trying to run engine so lean that they are run on air this type of thing is only going to get worse.

6. Powell_Landscape

Powell_Landscape LawnSite Member

If the problem has just started recently I would say you ignition module is on the way out. Happens all the time to my customers there machines run great cold but start to die or wont start hot.

7. JHLC

JHLC LawnSite Member

I have a 25hp walker that seems to run on 1 cylinder when started hot. It only does it for about 5 seconds and then runs normal. I wonder if this is a similar problem to yours?

8. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like your lifters may be leaking down.are you using 10w30 motor oil?
    i have been fixing these things for years and i replace a lot of lifters.as a rule
    of thumb i replace lifters when i do a power tune on all my customers engines

9. pro-turf mgt.

pro-turf mgt. LawnSite Member
    from Enid,Ok

i heard that later model 26 hp fuel injected kohler engines (on the walker) have a fuel filter problem. you might check that out because you may be able to get a replacement that allows more fuel to flow through. this also should fix the lagg in power and slow starts. -Good Luck!

10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Look at the date in the top left corner. :eek: