kohler engine missing

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by python, Sep 23, 2007.

1. python

python LawnSite Member

Hi....I have a lazer z, 52" cut with a Kohler engine. Starts and runs great, but after it warms up( 10 minutes or so) it starts to miss and cut out. Backing off the throttle helps, but really only thing to do is shut it down and let it cool off. Then I can restart and runs ok until warm again. Any ideas would be appreciated....thanks

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Python,

What is the model number and serial number of your unit? Once I have this information I will be better able to answer your question.

Casey

3. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

how many hours are on it? sounds like one of the ignition modules is failing (breaking down under heat).

4. python

python LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies....Casey, Model # is LZ20KC524...Serial #389896.
    20 hp Kolher, just replaced the fuel filter with no change....

Mike, the unit has only 59 hours....

5. MikeLT1Z28

when it cuts out is there any black smoke or anything coming from the exhaust?

6. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Your unit has amazingly low hours, especially since it is a 2003 model. Have you spoken to your local Exmark dealer about the issue. It could be a wide array of problems, and our dealers are very good at getting to the bottom of these issues.

Has the unit has been sitting for a long period of time?

KC

7. MikeLT1Z28

hmm, that is low for a 2003, are you the original owner?

8. 3Bladz

3Bladz LawnSite Member
    from IL

Drain and refill with new gas.

9. python

python LawnSite Member

Yes, I am the original owner.....it was a demo model I bought with only 1 hour.....it was the prior years model. I just use it here at my home...hopefully will have an acreage later to use it on.

It hasn't really sat for an extended period, during winter I start it ocasionally and use stabil.

I did call my dealer and he recommended changing the filter, plugs, and such....Haven't changed plugs yet. I do remember reading some post about washing the unit with water. I usually use air to blow it clean, but did use the garden hose to rinse it off before. Could I have gotten something electrical connection wet or corroded?
    I will drain the gas and replace the plugs to see if that helps....thanks