Kohler Engine Problems Hustler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by oakes57, May 9, 2007.

1. oakes57

oakes57 LawnSite Member

I have a Kohler Engine on my Grasshopper and haven't had any problems other then a seal. I am looking at getting a Huslter Super Z. Both dealers that do the most volume in my area don't even carry the Kohler's. They won't even sell them. One guy said when he used to carry JD he saw too many come back with the rod sticking out the side.

I have found a nice 2004 Super Z 60" with the 27hp Kohler and 90 hours for $5800 which is a good savings over new.

I am now just scared of the Kohler since both dealers won't even sell them. Is there really a problem, are the Kawasaki and Honda's really that much better?

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

No your dealers are full of it. We have way more problems out of Kawi's than we do kohlers. We have made up our minds that from now on we wont buy a new mower if it is powered by a kawi. Currently we are fighting with the Kawi on our Gravely that likes to cut out when ever it feels like. We have had a bunch of 12.5 kawis blow up on 36" WB's and the 23 kawi on our Tank is starting to run a little weird and has been fairly gutless from day 1. We have never had any issues out of our kohler engines.

3. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

My mower has a Kawi engine, I've never owned a Kohler. I do know, however, that my dealer (Hustler) has sold quite a few mowers with Kohler engines and they've been quite problem-free.

Based on my dealer's experiences with them, I would not hesitate to buy a mower with a Kohler engine.

4. qualitylawnlc

qualitylawnlc LawnSite Member

You can get good Kohlers or a bad one and the same can be said of Kaw. I run a Kaw and so does my brother. We both are loyal Kaw customers. A friend of mine has a LazerZ with a Kohler and it's been trouble free as well. I guess alot of long term reliability can be determined by maintenance, too. I change my oil every 100 hours or earlier and clean my air filter every day.

5. tinkerlawn

tinkerlawn LawnSite Member

I argee. If the mower looks like it has been taken care of, it probably has.

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Never had a Kohler in the shop.

7. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Never had a engine crank, switch off, run as hard with no oil usage and engage the blades on a 66" deck with no change in sound at the lowest throttle setting but a Kohler 28 efi. This engine has been absolutely perfect in every aspect for 200 hrs. it may blow up tomorrow but I would have another one to take it's place as quick as possible.

I believe your dealers are idiots, you can print this post and take it to them. I really wish you would, I would like to hear what they have to say.

I am not guessing about this, I have owned Kawasaki's also.

8. BAKERS

BAKERS LawnSite Member

We see far more problems with Kohler than Kawasaki, I order models with Kawasaki's over Kohlers when possible.

9. oakes57

oakes57 LawnSite Member

Can you provide more details please? Is a problem small or large? Did you have problems with 2 Kohlers versus 1 kawasaki so that is far more problems or have you had many Kohlers back. Please let us all know more about your experience. Thanks

10. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I can tell you are very interested in aquiring all the information you can about these engines.

My dealer sold more Hustler's than any single store dealer last year not counting the other 8 top of the line zero turn mowers he handles. This means he sold a tremendous number of several engines, I will find out what he has to say about this subject. I do know this, he can personally run anything he chooses and he chose a 28 efi Kohler on a 72" deck Hustler Super Z for his new home and large acreage.