Kohler engine question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Feb 21, 2001.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Our dealer told us to run only Kohler engine oil in our Kohler Command engines.

He said at first he was running 10W30 in his personal equipment, and his valves were tapping. He found out at a service meeting that Kohler oil does not foam like automotive oil did in his machine. He now uses Kohler oil, and he doesn't have any more problems.

Anyone else heard this before?

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I did not know this, but I can believe it would help if Kohler does have a non foaming oil. I have found that when I have lifter noise, it is because I have the engine at or a fuz above the full mark. If I run it at the full mark to about an 1/8" below the full mark, I have no problems with 10/30 oil. When I do have this problem, I check the oil and the oil will have tiny bubbles in it and it will be a fuz over full.

I started running Shell Rotello T 15/40 in the Kohler after I got my Diesel Chopper and this way I can run it in all 3 big engines. I have used this in the JD this winter and it started with no problems at 5 below zero. Back to the problem, I have had no lifter problems on the 22 Command since. How much is the Kohler Oil? If this is true, I may use it in the Old Chopper. Keep us informed. :)

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Eric,

Going to talk to the dealer tomorrow. Haven't purchased any of the Kohler oil yet, so I'll find out the cost tomorrow.

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

My dealer told mr Kohler oil is SAE30,dont know how true it is,but it was thicker than the 10w30 i had in it.

5. For the same price a Kohler oil you could buy full syn. oil at most chain auto parts stores.

Full syn. is a much better product.

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Buy Mobil 1 full synthetic, its recommended in Kohlers Owners manuals.

7. LeoS818

LeoS818 LawnSite Member

I was told by someone somewhere that all motor oils have an antifoam additive in them.

8. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I use Kohler command sae 10w-30 in 25hp Kohler command it cost me 1.99 a qt at RuralKing. Marks Mowing Service PS so far no problems.

9. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

i use non-detergent castrol 10w30. have for years it does real well. if you are going to use synthetic oil, wait till after break in period is complete on new engines so the rings will seat.

10. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

I do recommend the Kohler oil as well. If you look at the back of the oil, check the API service ratings. On the Kohler oil it is rated SJ/CG-4, the S rating is for gasoline engines and the C rating is for diesel. These engines run under heavy load and use a governor like diesel engines and need the heavy duty additives that are in the oil. Around $2 a quart is a correct price. Be careful using heavier oils (such as the 15W-40). Kohler oil pumps do not have a large enough drain system in their pressure relief valve and can create too high of an oil pressure with heavy oils especially in cool temperatures. With too much pressure you could bend push rods or break rocker arms. Command labeled oil is 10W-30. Magnum labeled oil is 30W.
    Hope this helps.