1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

kohler engine switch help????

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by milo, Jun 19, 2006.

1. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a 25hp kohler with a 1 1/8th shaft and my engine to replace is 1750.00 but i found a guy on internet with a kohler engine 25hp new with 1 1/8 shaft but it is a little longer shaft.. by like 1 inch.. could i use it??? and if yes would i shim under engine when mounting or put washers on the shaft??? if anyone did or knows or has a good opinon please respond.. this engine shipped to me would only be $900.00. thanks

2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I just put a new 25 Kohler on a mower . I ordered the engine from J Thomas, gave them all the engine family and spec codes and the replacement engine had a longer shaft. I just added washers under the bolt for the clutch and everything works fine.

3. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

un bolt the shaft from old engine and put it on new one (ch engines with shaft on intake side).

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Is it this one: CV25S-69519 25 HP Command Twin Vertical 1-1/8"x3-5/32" Shaft, ES, OHV, 15 amp alt, Muffler,
    DROP SHIP ITEM $1,587.00

If so, it is listed here:
    The Small Engine Warehouse - Kohler section

Scroll down and look for it, it helps to have the Product number from your old engine (that number stamped on the metal plaque).