1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kohler engine throttle wont stay wide open ?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by blueramz, May 17, 2006.

1. blueramz

blueramz LawnSite Member
    from nny

Hello all, im brand new to the site and looking forward to being apart. My question is that I have a snapper gt2354 that I bought used. It has a kohler 23 hp engine . While mowing the throttle will not stay wide open, it works its way back to about 1/2 throttle. I just spent 30 bucks and replaced the throttle cable and choke cable thinking that it might just be wore out but the new one does the same thing . The mower runs great and the governor seems to be working fine , im just tired of holding the throttle wide open with my thumb as i mow. Any suggestions would be great !
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Some throttle cables have a screw holding the handle arm to the control assembly, That screw can be tightened to cause more friction on the arm to prevent backing down.
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I WISH mine had a screw... Mine have all been rivits and I have a terrible time with throttle cables as well... If yours is rivited then the rivit may need to be snugged up. The only way to accomplish this is by using a hammer and another soild surface, even the face of another hammer, and striking it. the guy at the dealer had to "fix" mine on a new mower with 30 hours on it. another 100 hours later and it's loose again and driving me nuts as well.
  4. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

Guys, my solution to this annoying problem is to drill a small hole in the throttle handle and put an extension spring on it. The spring is set to pull the throttle to the full open position. The spring is not strong enough to pull the throttle to full open by itself, but it is strong enough to keep it at full open when I put it there. So in idle position the spring is most extended. In full open position the spring is less extended, but still exerting just enough force to keep the throttle wide open. I had to play with the spring tension a bit to get it right. Simple, but effective.
  5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I have done something similar to above, only using a bungee cord hooked to the throttle and then to anything I can find to hook it on that's the right distance away!