Kohler Engine Won't Start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Paul C, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Paul C

Paul C LawnSite Member

This is my first post on this website. Looks great so far and I'm hoping someone can set me in the right direction.

I have a Kohler Cammand 15.5 HP OHV CV15S Engine that will not start. I did a complete tune up on the motor 1.5 to 2 months ago with no problems. The engine ran great.

Last week I went to mow the lawn and the engine wouldn't start. It was turning over, but it never fired up.

I went out this morning to mow the lawn and nothing. The motor did not turn over or anything. It makes a clicking sound when I turn the key. I thought it might have been the battery. So I replaced it, nothing. I replaced the spark plug again, nothing.

I'm hoping someone here can give me some advice or thoughts as to what this might be.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

2. slapshotat90

slapshotat90 LawnSite Member

If the battery is new and your getting a clicking sound, check the starter solenoid. A crude way to do this would be to take a screwdriver that you don't need and bridge the two terminals. This should get the motor to turn over. Make sure your not grounded to the frame when you do this otherwise you could get a decent shock. You'll get a decent sized spark and will most likely ruin the screw driver. Any other abnormal sounds coming from the motor either while its running or trying to start?

3. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

Possibly the carb leaked and filled the cylinder with gasoline, hydro locking it.
    Remove the spark plug, ground the plug wire, and try cranking.
    Failure to ground the plug wire can result in a nasty fire!

Else, clean all battery cable connections, including the grounds.