Kohler Engines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dave, Oct 27, 2000.

1. Dave

Dave LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

Eric ,have you or any other members here,here from kohler about there 25hp failures,I had read the post that was put in by them back in early Oct.I have not seen any answers from them on questions that were ask to them about other failures that has happen with there 25hp right up date,I wonder if the letter that they wrote was mass copied to hand out to the dealers and the customers,as a pat on there back that they are taking care of the problem

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Paul Scholten from Kohler hasn't posted since that post you read. I just checked and he has 1 post. In this article http://www.kohlerengines.com/command_hp_help.html he said:

Questions?

If you feel the problem with your Command 25-hp engine has not been corrected, please contact us at kohler.engines.service@kohlerco.com and we will work with you to resolve it.

3. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

An interesting thing I noted was that he referred us to a web site discussing the fix, but it referred to 1998 problems! The information I've found on this site has led me to specify a 27LC Kawasaki when asking for a quote on the ZTR I intend to purchase this winter/spring. I wonder if Kohler realizes how much potential business they may be losing? When I've asked several dealers about this they act like they don't know anything about a problem--strange!
    Will M.

4. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Some dealers dont want to scare you off. They want to sell you a new mower. One of my dealers said the same thing, he had not heard of any problems. The other said he had heard about some problems.

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Just so others,know I was contacted privately by Paul,after he read our posts.I gave him all the needed info on the engine as he requested.It has been 3 weeks-still hasnt reteurned my e-mails,or wrote back to tell me where we can go with it.So I think it was just to make us think they cared,they have no plans to actually make good on any of the bad 25's out there,unless we take them to court.The idea has been crossing my mind for quite some time.If anyone has a better plan let me know.

6. John maybe Kohler does what do put out the labor to the Dixie dealer to R & R a new engine.

If they provided you a new engine in a crate would you
    R & R the engines yourself?

This would not cost them any real money out of pocket except for motor freight to your door (less than $100).

If they can't do that I think a boycott of all Kohler products would be in order.

Or maybe it is time to give the NYS Dept. of Consumer Affairs a call.

7. John DiMartino

Id rather R&R it myself than have the dealer do it.It would take all of 1/2 hr including a coffee break and removing my trac-vac bracket.The only reservation I have is, will I go thru this all over again in 75 hrs.There is no guarantee that the new one will be any better.It is easier for me install it myself than to trailer it to the dealer.

[Edited by John DiMartino on 10-28-2000 at 01:17 PM]

8. My Walker dealer replace my Command 25 without question. Of course, I let him know exactly what was at stake here. It was a broken crank shaft. Took them three weeks though.

I agree with John, better off to do the R&R oursleves. Thast how we fixed our 15 hp.

We can have these engine in and out in no time.

9. John DiMartino

Turfman,3 weeks is totally unacceptable.my dealer would have me running that same day if i got it there before 2pm.They stock 3 CV25's on the shelf,along with at least 7 other kohlers.Scarey part is now they sell as many Kawis'a as kohlers-I asked where kawi engines were-i wanted to look at them-He said we dont need to stock them-they havent given us any problems.Dealer is aware of my oil use and says to keep running it for now.I am starting to get a lower end noise at 3500and above,just started this week.Sounds like a rod to me,I never hated an engine so much until bought this 25.I try not to aggravate myself,im such a picky person who wants all my equiment to run just right,and sound good and tight.

10. John,

Dealer provided me a loaner, even thought we had to put a battery in it and do some work to it, I did not lose any production. I do not know if he would do that for a smaller contractor, because I throw my multi unit weight around if I have to to keep my production running. I agree, three weeks is totally out of line.

Dealers do not stock anything out here. They feel because it's only 40 miles to metro Portland, they don't have to . We end up air freighting a lot of stuff direct from the factory.

Funny you should mention low end knock at 3500. The new motor they installed has that at about 10 hours. I am going out to mow my yard and pick up leaves with it in an hour. Hope it's not like the last time I did it.

All we want is equipment to perform and do it's job. I don't have these problems with my older Ford engines in my Stang and pickup.