1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kohler Engines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Darin, Jun 5, 2000.

1. Darin

Darin LawnSite Member

Do Kohler Engines normally have noisy lifters or is it just me? I have had my Toro 52 ZTR in the shop 3 times for them to find a problem and they say they cant't find anything.
  2. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

Most of the Kohlors I have owned have had noisy lifters. The dealer in my area says it's just the way Kohlor's sound. I have noticed that I don't hear the lifters after using 100% synthetic oil.
  3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Yes,they are all noisey,mine kinda sounds like its coming unglued all the time.Unrefined and thrashy is the best way for me to describe kohler commands,but as long as its durable,Im ok with it.<p>----------<br>John D<br>
  4. lawn and stump

lawn and stump LawnSite Member

my 20 hp commands on scags also go through<br>mufflers- they crack by the inlets and the<br>baffles rattle loose I go thru about 1 per mower ea year. THe lifters also make nose sometimes. next motors will be kawi's phil<br>
  5. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

I use 15w40 Mobil1 and it runs great. Once i added some prolong and that relly helped quiet the motor down too. <br>My dealer recommonded that grade and brand of oil for the kohlers and even the kawasakis. synthetic oil is worth the extra money. It queits and cools the engine better in my opinion.