1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kohler+Exmark Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JCLandWerks, Dec 29, 2003.

1. JCLandWerks

JCLandWerks LawnSite Member

Hey guys I need your opinions on a mower I'm looking at. It's a 2001 Lazer HP with a 26hp Kohler EFI on it. The machine has 1500 hours on it. I've gone over the whole machine and it is pretty much in Mint condition. I have had the 22hp commands and Kawi's in the past. Do these EFI hold up as well?? The hours seem a little high but I need some opions on that engine. Thanks in advance for the help!
  2. Chris W

Chris W LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

IMHO Kohler is a pretty Bullet Proof product have had older ones and they just dont break
  3. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't think that engine was available with the HP model. I do have that engine on my Lazer but only 120hrs this season and runs perfect.
  4. Bond's Lawn Keepers

Bond's Lawn Keepers LawnSite Member

I have two of those mowers, one is 2000 model without any problems and a 2001 model that has been in the shop more than on the job. The 2001 model efi ran real good when i bought it after three months into the mowing season it started giving me problems. I would make sure the computer chip is alright and make sure you have an extra fuel pump. When those goes out you are stuck. I will not buy another efi. Too many things that can go wrong. My next mower is going to be a diesal. The dealer was nice to let me use a diesal while he work on mine. So I am going to buy a diesal in the spring.
  5. r.eckley

r.eckley LawnSite Member

Ive had two KOHLER EFI,s 26&28hp 500hrs on one 700 hrs on other NO trouble on either . Great fuel econ. &good power.

Kinda spoiled now. Dont want anything else!
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

If it has the 26 efi, it isn't an HP. It must be a full size lazer.
  7. justmjc

justmjc LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer was explaining to me that each hp generates about 100 hours of engine life. So, your 26 hp kolher should last for about 2600 hours give or take. Of course they could last longer, as I have 1 ancient mower that just won't die. And it's one of my original backup units.
  8. energy

energy LawnSite Member

The question is....HOW MUCH IS IT? If it is dirt cheap, get it fix it later if you need to. If it is average priced keep shopping. Dont let cosmetics affect your decision. Hours are hours, if the moving parts are replaced, well it will keep moving. If the paint looks good and the bearings are all shot, what are you getting? I kinda get disappointed when people shop for a machine to perform a job, then buy because of other reasons i.e. (Looks good). Well everything aside, price should be your deciding factor, good luck.
  9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

10. JCLandWerks

JCLandWerks LawnSite Member

The guy wants $4400 for it. After reading some of these postd Im not really sure what to do