1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

kohler govoner settings

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ChadsLawn, Apr 9, 2005.

1. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

hey guys, I own a kees 52 with a 22hp Kohler. I just completed a valve job on the heads.. Its all together now.. But when you crank it, it wants to run wide open. the throttle works from idle to wide open. but when you go back to idle the govoner stays wide open.. the mechanic told me to loosen the bolt on the govoner and turn the shaft counter clock wise(with throttle shut) That didnt do it.. So he told me to do it the opposite direction. Did not work.. Then I did the same with thte throttle wide open..Still nothing..
    Please help me

2. ChadsLawn

anyone.. please help
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

To set the governor on a Kohler twin:

1: Make sure the throttle linkage is connected to the governor arm and the throttle lever on the carb.
    2: Move the governor lever TOWARDS the carb as far as it will move (wide open throttle) and hold it in position.
    3: Insert a nail into the hole on the cross shaft and rotate the shaft COUNTERCLOCKWISE as far as it will turn, then tighten hex nut securely.
  4. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

If you go to the Kohler site you can download the Service manual for that engine. It is is pdf format so you need to get Adobe Acrobat.

This one cover 18hp to 26hp I believe.....
  5. ChadsLawn

Thanks for the reply. Ive done that already , I have the service manual also.
    Something is really messed up.It will Idle just fine, move the throttle to like 1/4 the rpm's seem way to high. 1/2 throttle is well over 3000 just by ear. So I dont know what went wrong between taking the heads off and putting them back on.

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

You really need to find a tach so you can know for sure what your rpm's are... I have a tiny tach that I never put on any machine, I just keep it to check rpm's on various machines. Works great! I wouldn't advise setting by ear unless you are really used to hearing the same engine running at the right rpm. Still easy to be off a few hundred at least.