kohler hard to start when hot need help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by milo, Sep 8, 2010.

1. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

ok 27hp kohler on lazer z. first start when cold fires right up fast. if i cut a lawn and shut it off and start it 5 minutes later starts great too but i load up and go to next yard and go to start it and cranks for like 5 to 10 seconds before starting.... anyone have a clue? i heard change oil and did that and will see tomorrow but also heard probally the coils going bad. dosent this engine have 2 coils? and whats the chance they both go bad same time or is it a single coil? any info great.

2. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

ya! i would like to know too, same with my NEW scag turf tiger, crank, crank, crank when engine it hot in the afternoon. i want my liquid cooled kawi back.

3. milo

i just was reading it could be a sheered flywheel key????? can i tell this by just taking off the cover or do i need to pull the flywheel to see this??

4. flatlander42

flatlander42 LawnSite Silver Member

My 27hp cranks for quite a while all the time. Sometimes it seems like a long time. (close to 5-10 seconds too)

5. SkinnyVinny

SkinnyVinny LawnSite Senior Member

same here... I started a thread like this a few days ago but nobody seems to give a helpful answer.. maybe you will have some luck with someone, I will keep checking back..

6. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

I have same motor on my lazer...

Does the same thing as yours...

First start of the day...I choke with throttle all the way down and starts right up.
    Rest of the day if warm...I have throttle up 65% or so up and it seems to start much better.

Also...I always shut down at at half throttle...otherwise they are prone to backfires.

7. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

I have the same mower. Once it's warm I notice when turning the key to start it it is very SENSITVE. Just flick the key fast and it should start .5 seconds. Keep the throttle and choke all the way down you don't need it unless the mower has been sitting for more then 3-6 hours. When it's cold choke all the way and have have the throttle at 2% then when it starts throw the choke down and put the throttle at 25%-50%

8. milo

lol... i will try it though i am thinking its bad coils.
    PEOPLE LETS FIGURE THIS ONE OUT alot of us seem to have it:dancing:

9. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

It should work. I noticed you can easily flood it if you hold the key for more then a second then after that it's hard to start. Just turn the key real fast.

10. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Heck, I thought this was just normal for Kohlers because everyone I ever had does this.