Kohler HD air cleaner

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grasscape Inc, Jul 15, 2001.

1. Grasscape Inc

Grasscape Inc LawnSite Member

Has anyone any experience with the heady duty canister air cleaners? I know they require very little maintenance, and can be used for extended periods. Do they give the engine added protection or power? 200 hours more life, or 1000 more?
    Clean air in to the motor greatly increses its life more than any other factor except oil. Do the canisters actually give a signinficant increase in engine life? Do they increase power?
    I am considering adding them to 17-25hp engines..

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have the Donaldson brand of canister air cleaner on my Walker that has a 26 EFI Kohler and a Turbo type precleaner and I must say they are great. In fact the recommend you dont over clean them and there is a vacuum guage installed to tell when there is constriction. This is a tremendous savings of time and money and the filtration system is excellent. No foam filters to wash and oil and no filters to constantly replace. The system I have has a 2 filter system 1 large paper canister and a plastic fine micron filter inside of that one.
    If you ask me, I say its money well spent.

3. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto Mow Ed. I have also been told by Exmark that on the 25 Kohler it increases HP by one.

4. Jerrys Lawn Service

Jerrys Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Grassscape. Listen to Ed we have those filters on two of our mowers that we use the most and they work great no fuss no muss! They run about $200-$225 with the filter minder installed.
    Jerryslawnservice@home.com

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I also have the Donaldson filters on my Choppers and I feel that it and the Amsoil Bypass filters are two things that help give longevity to a motor. I have over 3,500 hours on my Kohler and another member here, FineLinesLawn has almost 4,000 on his Kohler on a Chopper. I can't say the only reason we have this many hours on them is due to the Donaldson, but I'd be willing to bet it sure did help. :)

I feel it is well worth putting them on motors.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have a system almost identical to Mow Ed's and at 100 hours it was a waste of time to even bother checking the factory filter. It appeared as though it had just come out of the box brand new.

7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I have about 500 hours on the last Nelson set on my Kohler. The outer heavy element is a little dirty but does not need changing yet. The inner cotton filter is spotless. It was quite dusty here last year and early this year. I would say it has held up remarkably well. The Nelson setup is a great investment at $150-200. Consider the time you spend cleaning prefilters and filters and the money on these two. The Nelson style, just put them in and forget em.

8. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Clean air & clean oil is how you get long life out of any engine. I have installed the heavy-duty filter & an Amsoil bypass filter on my CV23S Kohler. After 100 hrs. the filter looks good as new. I used to have to clean the stock filter precleaner 2-3 times per week. Just the time saved on maintaining air filters will pay for that heavy duty filter in a hurry, not to mention the added engine life. That Amsoil filter is impressive too, after 50 hrs. of use the oil looks like it was just changed. I highly recommend both of these filter setups. ED

9. dhicks

dhicks Member

I don't have the fancy Donaldson air filter on my Toro but I did buy a Enginaire (sp) turbo air cleaner for my 25 HP Kohler and it works as advertised. The air filter stays much cleaner. I think that I paid $110.00 for the kit last year at Expo.