Kohler Help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by xi_bowhunter, Jun 3, 2008.

1. xi_bowhunter

xi_bowhunter LawnSite Member

I think my 20hp Kohler died. I was mowing along and it just quit. No noise to indicate a problem. Tried to start it and it rolled over a little bit and came to a sudden stop. You can turn the top by hand backwards and move forward to the sudden stop. Any thoughts?

2. VegetiveSteam

VegetiveSteam LawnSite Senior Member

When you move it forward to the stop does it make a noise like it hits something?

3. xi_bowhunter

Yep. Loud thud

4. VegetiveSteam

VegetiveSteam LawnSite Senior Member

That doesn't sound good. It's probably nothing external but take a quick look for anything like a clutch issue or something but it sounds like the engine needs to come apart. Sounds like something inside is broken. You probably already figured that much though. It's not on a Walker is it?

5. xi_bowhunter

I was afraid of that. It is on an Exmark Turf Ranger. Thanks for your thoughts.

6. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

Pull the plugs,put something clean like a plastic zip tie or a bic pen inside the sparkplug hole and rotate the top flywheel/blower screen by hand and see if the pistons push the plastic out the sparkplug hole, if both pistons are still connected to the rods and crank it's not a problem there. Could be several things after that, do you have a compression tester? After the piston test if both cylinders are moving, do a compression test, good luck, but it doesn't sound good by what you have posted, by the way, has oil level been kep't up? Keep us posted on progress, C'ya