Kohler ignition coil work around

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by WDP, May 2, 2008.

1. WDP

WDP LawnSite Member

I have a Cub with the KT17S Kohler engine. It died while mowing, no spark now. Replaced points, condenser no change. I don't want to spend the $130 for a coil, I have 2 old chevy (6 volt, needs ballast resistors) coils, can I hook them up in series and get this to run? Thanks in advance

WDP

2. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have a voltmeter? Check for voltage at the coil before going further. Ignition switch could have burned out and isn't supplying power to the coil.

3. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

The only "bad" condenser I've experienced was a NEW one.
    Temporarily remove it from the circuit and see if you get spark. IF the points are close, simply opening them will give spark. No need to crank the engine.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

WDP,

As Bill posted with a new bad condenser I have ran across brand new points that were shorted out.

Maybe you should perform a coil test before ruling it as the problem ?

[​IMG]

Good Luck

5. WDP

WDP LawnSite Member

Thank you Mr. Rob for the diagram, the primary is 52 ohms, so back to the original question- can the two coils be run in series to get the desired spark? Or better yet does anyone have a spare I can purchase?

WDP

6. VegetiveSteam

VegetiveSteam LawnSite Senior Member

No you can't and yes I do.

7. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Not sure on the KT17's and other twins but I know on the singles that if you just run a generic coil it will work but not for long. Get the Kohler coil and be done with it.

8. WDP

WDP LawnSite Member

Thank you all. Got it, Harley universal 12V. Bent the supplied bracket to fit the mounting locations. Best part- Ebay, $14.95 and $8.00 ship. ZOOM-ZOOM.

WDP

9. GeoMiklas

GeoMiklas LawnSite Member

I inherited my LGT and grandpa had already changed the original coil to two used automotive coils that he had laying around. Since inheriting it, the LGT ran well until one day something happened and it would idle rough, and choke out under any load.

So in looking over the coils I found that one was cracked, so I changed both. I went to the auto parts store to check twin-output coils. They had one such twin-output coil, but it was for a Saturn or other GM car. It was a 2-pack that mounts to the ignition module. So I walked out with two single-output coils and went home to mount them. It still didn't run right. So I took the cover off of the points and found that the plastic insulator had melted and cracked, and so the points were not working.

The next day, I bought new points and condenser. Went home and put them on. Still didn't run right. Checked the gap on the points several times. Still didn't run right.

Finally after messing with it for 5 days after work, I went and bought the Kohler coil for $137.45 plus tax. Went home and installed it. LGT fired up immediately, ran correctly at idle and under load, and has cut the grass twice since.

Moral of the story....don't waste time messing around trying to re-engineer the product.

George

10. WDP

WDP LawnSite Member

Working just fine, 20 hours and a bunch of mowing, hauling. I just hate manufacturers that think their stuff is gold plated. I you need a coil for your Kohler try Harley Davidson.

WDP