Kohler is louder than usual, tapping sound...Lifters?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by UGA, Mar 5, 2002.

1. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

My 22hp Kohler is on a 52' Great Dane Surfer and I am only running about 100 hrs a year doing my yard(3acre), work, mother-in-law,church,etc. Before I put it up for the winter it became louder tha usual and I have been listening all around it trying to figure out where it is coming from and I can't seem to locate it. It is starting to sound more like a diesel or something...sort of a tapping. I kept thinking it was from the muffler which I had removed and had rewelded last year after it had ashaken off due to a crack in one of the spindle housings which made everything shake more than it should. My question is for any of you guys running Kohlers....is this common? or should I get it looked at. I have a very good Kohler mechanic nearby but if it is probably those self adjusting lifters then I'll let it go for awhile and see how it goes. What da'ya'think? Thanks
  2. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

I really can't tell you exactly but I can tell you that I have a kohler

on a older mower an it sounds the same It is very loud

Take it to your mechanic.
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Is it a valve tapping noise? Or is it a muffler that is shot? Kohler mufflers arent known for their loggevity, especially with the constant backfire upon shutdown. The less you use a mower, the more prone to rust the muffler has.
  4. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

I think it sounds like it is definitely coming from the engine .
  5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Drain the oil and put in Kohler oil.
    I know this sounds stupid, but the Kohler oil has some type of non-foaming additive to it, and it will quiet those lifters down if this is the problem.
    What is happening is the oil is foaming up, and letting air into the lifter bore, causing it to bleed down, thus you are hearing the ticking.
    This will be a cheap way of determining if it is lifter noise you are hearing
    Hope this helps.

6. Jerrys Lawn Service

Jerrys Lawn Service LawnSite Member

UGA, Had the mower not been run for a while? If so Kohlers have hydraulic lifters and need to be pumped up by oil pressure , try letting it run for 15 min or so and see if the noise doesn't go away. Switching to Kohler oil is a great suggestion also!

Jerrys Lawn Service
  7. wattsup

wattsup LawnSite Member

Sounds like trouble. My engine started making a funny noise last year. I did not pay it enough attention and it cost $900.00 to get it fixed. However, Kohler payed for the repairs without any question. I would take it to a mechanic. Go Vols!
  8. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

She's ready to blow herself up. Happened to me on my scag last year. Just part of life. Live and die , but cut lot's of grass in between!!!!!!:angel:
  9. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

Change the oil to a fresh 10W-30. The suggestion of going to the Kohler oil is a very good one. Run it up to an hour wiht the new oil and see if the noise goes away.
  10. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

the oil thing sounds like a good idea to me. i own two kohlers and a kawasaki. just replaced the kawasaki last summer. try the oil and good luck.