Kohler K181 Governor Problem?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by clubairth, Jul 27, 2005.

1. clubairth

clubairth LawnSite Member

I have a Kohler K181 on a 1966 JD 110H lawn tractor. While mowing the other day the RPM's took off and went up real high until I grabbed the throttle and turned it down. After searching on this site,I think I might have spun the governor gear off inside the crank case? I have readjusted the governor lever as per the Kohler shop manual but no change. I can keep the throttle down but then when the engine gets a load the RPM's won't speed up to handle the increased load.
    Can this gear be serviced without a complete tear down? My Kohler manual has the governor gear as the last item removed from the crankcase and the first part put in when reassembling the engine!

2. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

Your manual is absolutely correct.

3. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

it is a little bit of a job. if you are handy with the tools, you should be able to do with little problem.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If your gonna be into it that far and plan on keeping it you mite think about throwing a new rod and a set of rings in it and cut the valves and seats, Then you will be set for another 20/30 years.

5. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly. Kohler K-series engines are bound to be one of the toughest if not, THE toughest small engines out there. In fact, now all my old equipment is powered by Kohler K-series engines. Got rid of my last Cast Iron Briggs last week with the Big Ten.

Have the bore mic'd just to see if it needs to be cleaned up. Also mic the crank as well. An engine done right the first time is always a good feeling.

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Have the bore mic'd just to see if it needs to be cleaned up. Also mic the crank as well. An engine done right the first time is always a good feeling.[/QUOTE

You are right about that ! ,Didn't mention that because he said he had a service manual and all specs. are handy.