Kohler & Kaw

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by germann, Sep 25, 2001.

1. germann

germann LawnSite Senior Member

We had a 48" Bunton w/a 14 hp Kohler. Got a new turf tracer with a 17 Kaw twin cylinder. I think the difference is not related to the brand, but the V twin. It starts easier and runs smoother. I don't think the brand matters as much. The twin cyl makes the difference.
    By the way, if we let most of the leaves fall and only do one pickup on a lawn, will they damage the grass and be impossibe to blow w/backpack and push blowers. They start in late October and finish in December. Most of our customers are not rich, so we are trying to find an inexpensive way of removal. (I think there are too many to Mulch.)

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

As long as your mowing regularly,the leaves should be mulched up enough not to stifle the grass.if the grass is tall and wet,your going to have your work cut out for you,Id rather do a little every other week or so,to keep it under control.

3. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

I would recommend just keeping up with the cuts, as John said as long as the grass isnt too high you should have no problem with a one time clean-up. Sure its gonna take longer and be little harder on the equipment but if this is your choice, to do a one time clean-up, this may be what you have to do. Good luck =)

4. Shawn Burns

Shawn Burns LawnSite Member
    from N.C.

With my customers that have some where for me to dump leaves i charge them 1/2 hr to 1 hr labor every week to bag leaves and grass in the fall. This way i am on top of leaves and they are getting a pretty good deal on leaf removal. The best thing is that when done every week it's a breeze!