Kohler & Kawasaki

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walkerrider, Apr 26, 2000.

1. walkerrider

walkerrider LawnSite Member

Ok here we go. I have watch and read all the post regarding engine preferences. In the last 12 months I have owned machines with everything from single Kohler 16HP, 17HP Liquid Kawasaki Dual and currently 25Kohler HP Twin. In my experience the single Kohler was in application a smoother runner over the expensive Kawai Liquid. The 25 HP is unbelievable. Now I am aware the 25 had some growing pains. But they appear to be 2 production years behind them. And, no I dont have a rpoblem with Japanese motors. I have a small boat with a Suzuki 4 stroke outboard which is unquestionablt the best engine I have ever owned. But no one can sell me on the Kawasaki being significantly better in performance than the comparable Kohler.

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

walker--I don't see how a kohler single could be smoother than a KAWie double. if you say so...ok, but I am surprised.<p>on your boat motor...I dunno 'bout motorcycle engines on the water. the boats in my area that that are worth having allways have BLACK ON THE BACK! if it aint a MERCURY don't even bring it on saturday morning! (humor intended here [but true!])<p>GEO

3. walkerrider

I would agree that the single should not have been a smoother runner. But I could never get the Kawa running smooth other than at full throttle, So the Kohler was smoother throughout the pseed range. Secondly, I agree on the Mercury. This Suzuki replaced a 2 stroke Merc which was a great engine. But it had to ignore EFI,DOHC, Smooth and quiet performance. Time will tell but these Suzuki remain one of the best kept secrets on the water.

4. cutting edge

cutting edge LawnSite Member

I bought my new lazer HP in march with the intentions of getting the Kaw engine. But my dealer recommended the Kohler. He said that they had been having trouble getting Kaw to stand behind their product. So I went with the Kohler.

5. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

Used to use Kohler engines. But now ONLY use Kawasaki, and that is from the 5.5 hp engines on my s.p. push snappers to the 17 v-twin engines on my Lesco walk behinds. Had trouble out of MORE than one kohler engine, NONE out of the 5 kawasaki's I have now. And about that single pumper kohler being smoother than the twin kawi...yeah, right! I've owned them all, used them over time and KNOW BETTER. Encore no longer uses kohler engines and has switched to kawasaki because of too many service problems. This came from the dealers mouth. Don't they use a lot of kohler's in craftsman mowers?<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: lakegastonla

6. walkerrider

Boy, I feel better now knowing that the dealer said to go Kawasaki. Come on. I give you more credit than that. I found that the Snapper dealer told me once that they make machine equal to or better than Exmark. So it must be true. I lend more credence to your personal experience than what any dealer ever tells me. Sound like you have had your share of Kohler problems so I can understand your move to Kawaski.

7. Bobby

Bobby LawnSite Senior Member

I had a 14 command on a scag. It was quite smooth.As far as Black On The Back, I've heard ( if you want to go fast, buy a Merc, if you want to get back to the dock without the help of Sea-Tow, buy a Yamaha.<p>----------<br>Bobby <br>Ft Lauderdale

8. walkerrider

Thius looks like it going to evolve into the marine Forum. Then we can all talk about broads in bikini's. Nah, what is the dispersal pattern on that toro SFS deck?

9. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

yo bobby--I hear you on the fast way to the shop! In my area, a mercury in the shop is prefered over anything else running down the lake! I couldn't beat 'em so I joined 'em!<p>GEO