kohler leaking fuel from muffler?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by tdarn1, Jun 22, 2004.

1. tdarn1

tdarn1 LawnSite Member

I a older husquvarna 42 inch mower with a 14 HP kohler, I use it for a backup and for really crappy yards I may run into . For some reason it seems to be leaking gas out of the muffler any suggestions???????
    thanks
    tdarn1

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

STOP!!!!DO NOT TRY TO START IT. YOU HAVE GAS IN THE CRANKCASE.IF YOU TRY TO RUN IT LIKE THAT YOU WILL DESTROY THE MOTOR.The float in the carb has hung open due to trash in the carb and now the crankcase will be full of gasoline. Running a motor with gas in the crankcase is worse than running one with out oil. The gas washes the crankcase clean of all oil and you have 100% metal on metal. Drain the crankcase and strip clean and repair the carb is the first thing you need to do.

3. themowerman

themowerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I don't know what model you have, but if your fuel pump is mounted on the valve cover, it is possible that the diaphram in the fuel pump is leaking and dumping fuel into the motor. Fixer67 is also right....check your carb...dump your oil and oil filter. If you are still getting oil dilution check the location of your fuel pump and if it is on the valve cover I would check that next. The pumps that are on the valve covers have a little lever that is run off of the valve.