Kohler lifter noise not just in 25's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Richard Martin, Jul 13, 2001.

1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm beginning to wonder if the lifter tick that Kohler 25's get is limited to only the 25's. It may be a lifter problem and not just a 25 problem. A friend of mine has a pair of CV20's and they are starting to tick at startup.

2. If it is a vert. engine it will tick sometime on start up or after oil change

Kohler use a hydraulic lifter (they are the same as a Chevy 350)
    and when the mower sits a while your lifter looses it prime and they are just priming back up. you may have to wait and run the mower at low idle for a few min. til the lifters prime back up

no its in al Koler vert. engines

if you can't take the ticking for a few min. you can replce the lifters and spend about $100 that you are just going to waist (just my opinion)

if it bothers you to much post a thread on the manufactures site

LGF:blob3:

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Actually my 25 Koh isn't doing it. I was just trying to get a handle on what the problem is, which engine it's in and maybe a possible cure.

All small block (and big block for that matter) chevy's use the same hydraulic lifter and unless someone has a lifter compressor they're not going to fit in a Kohler 20. The lifters that came out of my buddy's 20 looked to be markedly smaller than Chevy's.

4. Dave

Dave LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

you are right Richard ,all the kohler vert engines with the hydraulic lifters hammer,makes the briggs sound some nice compared to the kohler

5. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

Been there ! Had that noise. Changed back to the Sunco oil that came in the motor. The noise stopped. Now when I hear the lifter noise, I know it's time for a oil change.

6. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

The lifters in the Kohler are made by the same people that make lifters for the G.M. products out there. There are the same size but that is all that is the same. The internal valving and spring rate inside of the lifter is very different. The valve springs on the Kohlers is much smaller than any chevy motor out there. As far as the noise, it is caused by air getting into the lifter. you can compress air very easily and oil you can not. Good quality oils or synthetic oils can help reduce the amount of air bubbles that are produced in the oil which in turn will help keep the lifters quieter.

7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have found that if you keep the oil level at full or below a bit, you will not get the lifter noise. Screw the stick in before checking the oil level. If the oil level is over full, the oil gets bubbles in it and I think it's from the crank shaft hitting the oil, which then gets air in the lifters so they hammer.

I have had this happen after an oil change. Too much oil was the problem and I drained out about a 1/2 cup of oil and the noise goes away. I still have the same lifters in my old Kohler with over 3500 hours on it and I haven't heard lifter noise in a couple of years now that I keep the oil at or below full. If you put in just a 1/2 cup to much, you will hear the lifters.

I have had at least 2 dozen members email me about lifter noise in their Kohlers. I tell them to check the oil level and drain out the excess over the full mark. This fixes the problem.