kohler liquid cooled engine overheats, add fuel and it runs again

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ferris hilton, Sep 25, 2006.

1. ferris hilton

ferris hilton LawnSite Member

Older Walker with Kohler liquid cooled engine dies on us after it heats up. When we add fuel it starts to run again. Sometimes the fuel only has to drop an eighth of a tank and it starts to act up again, until we add fuel. Our mechanic can't seem to figure it out. Please help!

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

maybe when you open the gas cap you release the vacuum from a bad vent? could be - who knows?

3. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

What model engine is it? Is it an EFI? If it is I believe walker has a new fuel tank kit out there to help that.

4. ferris hilton

we put the new fuel tank kit in last year, hasn't seemed to help.

5. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

post your make and model of the engine

6. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

We had one doing the same thing. The electric fuel pump was not running at all (bad wire). When the tank was full the engine was able to run by gravity it turned out. But when the tank got down just a bit then it would die. Make sure you have good fuel flow and the pump is working right

7. ferris hilton

thanks guys, I will check the fuel pump, that seems sensible, I will also check the model of the engine, I wonder if I could email Walker with the model number, maybe they have seen this problem before.

8. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Call them at 917-221-5614 and ask to speak to Robert Tomasek, Technical Surport Manger

9. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Is it fuel injected or not? If it is and the pump isnt running than the engine isnt running...Gravity aint gonna do nothing for an EFI setup.

I would guess the Gas cap like someone else said without knowing anything else. Do you have to add gas to get it to start again or does it start back up if you just take the cap off?

Now if its a carb engine then it could be the fuel pump since it could gravity feed until the level in the tank is below the carb.

10. PPMnh

PPMnh LawnSite Member

check the supply fuel line inside the tank, there maybe a crack sucking in air when the fuel gets low. pull the line out and take a careful look at...doesn't take but a tiny hole.