Kohler Locked up after 950hrs Help.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by luckylawnboy, Apr 21, 2003.

1. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

Well back this spring about two weeks before mowing season started, I changed the oil on a 2001 Dixie Chopper with a 25 hp . Replaced the Amsoil and regular filter as well. One day the first day to go out mowing one of the guys call me telling me that as soon as he pulled it out of the barn that the Horn would not quit blowing. I told him to take it to the dealer and they said it was a bad sensor, so they cut the wires to make the horn quit. I get back and the lifters are knocking . Made took it back Monday they said bring it by Friday. Thursday it sticks a Valve. They fix it.. Still lifter knocking!! They assure me it is ok to mow. Week later it loses power and starts knocking Bad!!!! Then I put a oil pressure gage on it and it reads like 2lbs. then BOOM it locks up. Now whos resposible for the engine?? $1800 is as cheap as I can find for a new one. It went out of Warrenty back in September. Sat all winter, then blows at 950 hours. I have always herd lifter noise from time to time since it was new. Was this a faulty motor, and whos should be responsible?? I always changed the oil on time as well.

2. luckylawnboy

Oh any one with suggestions call me on my cell... Any time.
    Today is 4-20-03 Easter, and I need a motor yesterday.
    Thanks
    765-617-3298
    Josh Cage

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

That sucks dude. I blew one up last year that cost me $1500. I got on a hill that was a little to steep for it and was dead in 2 minutes. Sorry about your misfortune.

4. stang358

stang358 LawnSite Member

Sounds just like my situation, however mine was a 23 Kaw. and only had 307 hours on it. Warranty was up in September as well. I found a place on the internet called Small Engine Warehouse: www.smallenginewarehouse.com I ended up getting a replacement from them the next day. Very good service in my opinion. It was also the cheapest place I could find. Even cheaper than J-Thomas. Check them out. I just looked, and if yours is a Vertical 1 1/8" shaft, they have them for $1150. I highly recommend them.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The dealer should never have cut the wires to repair a bad sensor. Did they want to replace the sensor but they didn't have the part and you told them that you had to have the mower that day? Without knowing all of the details of the communication between you and the dealer it's hard to tell who is responsible. You are at least partly responsible because you knew something was wrong since you took the time to check the oil pressure. How many hours was the mower run with the lifters making noise?

6. djsmokin

djsmokin LawnSite Member

The dealer owes you an engine. That sounds like some Walmart service center story to me. He needs to school his techs.

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Dealer ahould buy the engine.He cut the wire on the warning buzzer without first checking the oil pressure.Had he done that the engine would have been saved.The problem wiht Kohlers is they knock anyway,with or without oil.Mine sounds like its out of oil sometimes too,so ordinary telltale signs dont apply to the Kohler engines.

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

"Kohler Locked up after 950hrs Help.
    Well back this spring about two weeks before mowing season started, I changed the oil on a 2001 Dixie Chopper with a 25 hp "

Say no more.

Advise is to not replace it with a Kohler 25.

Out.

9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Please give us some more details. If the warning system was cut by the dealer and they didn't say that it was a risk to drive the machine in it's current condition without checking into the problem further then I would say that make it very clear who was at fault.

Gravely_Man

10. luckylawnboy

I just got off the phone with a dealer support tech. From Kohler. They are very upset with the dealer because for one he should of have checked the engine further and have never cut the wire off the horn. Second there is an update kit that goes on to the engine that eliminates the air from the oil which is a problem with this engine. The air in the oil causes the oil to foam up. So Kohler is sending a Rep down there today. They said if the problem was caused by a defect that they would take care of the problem.
    I could not be any more appy