kohler loss of power

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by GLC, Aug 31, 2009.

1. GLC

GLC LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I have a 25 hp kohler engine on an exmark lazer z. it was sitting idling and it shut off. I restarted it and now, it does not gain any speed or RPMs. I have cleaned the carb and same problem. If I spray carb cleaner in the carb, it picks up as it should (RPMs). I am stumped on what to do. Any suggestions?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Check the throttle controls under/behind the carb, Make sure the governor spring didn't come loose when you removed the carb.

3. GLC

GLC LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

throttle linkage and springs are all intact. Could the govenor be going bad? I tried a carb off of a 20 hp kohler and the same problem. should I be looking for an engine or what? I need help! This is my main mower!!!

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Post the spec numbers off this engine, It still has to be between the throttle cable and controls. Make sure the throttle cable didn't slide in the hold down clamp, A bad governor would let the engine over rev......

5. GLC

GLC LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

still stumped. put on new fuel pump and still acting up. It did run yesterday but it also was doing the same thing. please help...