Kohler magnum 15

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Champman, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Champman

Champman LawnSite Member

What engines Brands interchange with a kohler magnum 15 HP horizontal shaft . engine goes in a mid 90s cub cadet 1541 rider Thanks much chris
  2. BobQ

BobQ LawnSite Member

I'm not sure there's written info available to answer that question. What you may end up having to do is get specs on other makes(briggs for one). You'll need to measure the base plate bolt holes center to center, the length and diameter of the crankshaft and the overall size of the other engine you're looking at to ensure it will fit under your hood(not too high or wide in other words).
    I maintain grounds equipment at a private country club. Kohler has discontinued some of their line and the replacements are Briggs engines. They can tell ME what I need but whether they can tell you,I don't know but it may be worth a try. You may also want to check with a Cub dealer if you haven't already.
  3. biggbuks2

biggbuks2 LawnSite Member

My Cub Cadet 1541 has a Magnum 15 too. read the ID plate on the engine, it tells you that its a model M18. I believe its an 18 HP engine relabeled 15 for Cub Cadet. Go figure.:dizzy:
  4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

WOW !!!

I've got to say....... This is the oldest thread I've seen brought back from the dead...... :gunsfirin
  5. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

I didn't know that Kohler detuned a M18 down to an M15....
    Though I was reading a thread on an old K series single....
    Betcha Dutch wooda noed.....
  6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

They didn't de-tune Slapper..... All they did is SLAP a 15 decal on the 18, It was common back then. It was ok to under rate hp but caused trouble over rating as you know.....