Kohler Muffler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dbshelton, Sep 12, 2009.

1. dbshelton

dbshelton LawnSite Member

Is there a good place to buy a reasonably priced Muffler for my Dixie Chopper with Kohler Command CV25? $150 sounds a bit steep!

2. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Is the muffler an actual Kohler muffler or is it made by the manufacturer of the machine? Most ZTR's have custom mufflers that the engine manufacturer does not provide so you are kinda at their mercy.

And honestly 150 sounds about right for a muffler from Kohler for a V-twin.

3. old oak lawn

old oak lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I ordered one for mine -25hp kohler command - Friday from my toro dealer, should be in Monday. Had to have the spec number of engine to order it, cost was $195.00. Mine is broken inside and loud as hell. Only two years old, came on a replacement engine.What can you do? have to have it.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

115 bucks through JThomas. They'll have it on your doorstep in 2 days.

5. dbshelton

Thanks guys. Who is JThomas?

6. dbshelton

Thanks. I went ahead and cut my muffler in half, gutted it, welded it back together, and gave it a fresh coat of high-heat black paint. Looks new, I'll just wear ear plugs until I can afford a replacement.

7. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

Ebay would be the cheapest of them all.

8. East Coast Lawn Choppers

East Coast Lawn Choppers LawnSite Member

Shame you didn't mention you were going to do that...
    We had a customer that didn't want to buy a new muffler. So we cut the end off removed all the broken and rusted out material. Welded it back together. Then took a piece of pipe the same diameter as the outlet. Made it long enough to go almost to the end of the housing. Welded the inside end shut and then gave it to one of my kids to have fun. Had him drill a few hundred 1/8" holes in it and then welded it into where the original outlet came out of. It was almost the same as a briggs and stratton muffler. It sounded so good he said he's gonna run it until it goes again. It didn't rob any power because we had soooo many holes in it. Worth a shot if you like playing like my kids did...

9. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

j-thomas.com is a parts company online.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

google is our friend.