1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kohler mufflers

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by thelawnguy, Aug 24, 2001.

1. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Anyone have a source for Kohler mufflers? (CV18-22 series). No way in heck am I paying the $120 the dealer wants.
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I caught the heat shield and ripped it off and put a small hole in mine, so I replaced the one on my 22 Kohler. I think I had to pay more than that for it. :(

It was about 1600 hours ago, so I'm not possitive on the price. From what I was told, the muffler I got was for a 25 HP Kohler. Just thought I would let you know the 25 HP muffler might fit yours also and it's a bit quieter than the original muffler.

If your's bolts on like mine, it has 2 support bracket stud bolts that are right by the rear of the engine. Spray those and the exhaust bolts with a good penitrating oil before cranking them out.
  3. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

depending on shape and design, i've had luck retrofitting some from farm supply stores.

i've also repaired some with my mig welder.
  4. WLC

WLC LawnSite Member
    from NE TN

Hope my input doesn't conflict with free advertising on Lawnsite. I think this is legal................ Try www.J-Thomas.com If I had the O.E.M part number I could tell you how much.
  5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Sooner or later,someones got to make an aftermarket meffler for them,since there are so many Kohler commands out there,and the mufflers are garbage from the factory.Everyone i know who has a kohler with maore than 800 hrs has had to buy a muffler if they didnt remove the sheild when it was new.The shield flanges pull right thru the muffler
  6. thelawnguy

Thursday while mowing the internal baffles must have let go, its annoyingly loud now. $120 at the dealer, 107 plus shipping at J Thomas, nobody else carries them. Jacks is 115 plus shipping. Thats nutz. Today I bought a pair of 30NRR headphones for $19. Sucks to be my neighbor at 7am anymore :cry:
  7. Fish

Fish LawnSite Member

What is the part number of the muffler? I will check on Monday
    and let you know what I can find.
  8. Dave

Dave LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

:blob3: kohler is making there mufflers like there toilets,only so many flushes and they start leaking
  9. thelawnguy

Part# 24 068 21
  10. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member