Kohler Oil Filters

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by so40, Jul 26, 2004.

1. so40

so40 LawnSite Member

I did a search first, but did not find the answer to my question. My new Lazer Z 60 inch with the Kohler 27HP engine came with an oil filter number 12 050 01. I purchased a new filter from my dealer to use when I change it the first time at 5 hours. I bought a filter with part number 52 050 02-S. It looks identical but is about an inch longer. I have plenty of room for the longer filter, and I like the idea of the extra capacity and the additional filter media area. Do you know of any reason NOT to use this filter?

Also, I was wondering if you could tell me when my machine was made. The S/N is 486812. Model number is LZ27KC604. Thanks for the help Terry.

Mike

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Mike,

We used the longer filter for several years (which I recommend for a replacement) and recently switched to the shorter filter.

Our thought process sorta went like this. With the initial break in period of 5-10 hours you'll never use the larger filters complete filtering capacity or the smaller one's capacity for that matter so we figured why use it. Who know's maybe it'll save a tree or something.

Thanks

Terry

3. kkat

kkat LawnSite Member

The shorter filters are used in places where the longer one will not fit,on some of the equipment Ive used the places where they would put the oil filter was crazy, your arm all twisted just to get to it , or you would have to take the filter wrench apart and put it around the filter and put it back together to use, the filters are made long and short for different applications depending on make and model

4. robertbick

robertbick LawnSite Member

Why does my Lazer Z manual specify the shorter filter as the replacement? I just bought the longer one for my first oil change.

5. eXmark

Robert,

Is that in your engine manual or in your Exmark manual? Let me know what model you have an what section you found it in. Kohler actually offers several filter sizes. The one we currently use is the "standard" model.

Thanks,

Terry

6. robertbick

robertbick LawnSite Member

Terry,
    I just checked and it is in the Engine Manual. The Engine Manual states the part number for the shorter oil filter (which came with the new Lazer). I have the Lazer Z with the Kohler 27HP air-cooled engine and bought the longer oil filter for my first oil change.

Bob

7. Paradise Landscapes

Paradise Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

What is the difference if it is all about the size? Won't they work just as good?

8. eXmark

Guys,

The standard filter that we use as well as any of the larger filters will be fine. I would not recommend using anything smaller that what we are currently using.

Thanks

Terry