Kohler Oil only for Kohler motor??

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by koop, Jun 17, 2007.

1. koop

koop LawnSite Member

My dealer says I should use Kohler oil for my 27 HP Kohler motor because it has special lifters in it. I asked about synthetics but he still preferred Kohler. In the Motor Oil thread it seems people run just about everything. Is oil just oil??:confused:

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Itz just oil.

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

yep, it is just oil, all comes from the same place......the ground:rolleyes: It is just another way for dealers to get you to spend the extra$$$ on the special Kohler name oil. Me personally I use pennzoil or kendall

4. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

For the most part I think you could use any oil. But different brands of oil have different additive packages. So, you should get name brand oil (Castrol/Penzoil/Mobil/Chevron, etc.) as they will have better additive packages. If it is economical to get Kohler oil, it should be good, but sometimes manufacturers charge a premium.

5. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

it is possable that kohler uses a special additive only found in there oil. most user manuals give the api specs it has to meet and the weight but if it says to use only Kohler oil I would do it. if a couple more dollars per oil change could save you thousands in engine repairs and possible save on fuel and make it run cleaner/better why not? I run mobil 1 in my mowers and notice they burn a little more oil but go longer between changes and run better.

6. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

You know i used to run kendall,now itz castrol or pennzoil how good is kendall oil.

7. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

if you check haed enough you will find who makes the oil for kohler. it will be one of the big companys.

8. desii

desii LawnSite Member

Exactly...because I have never heard of "Kohler Oil Company"...:)

9. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Kohler oil is supposed to have an additive that helps with aeration or foaming since their lifters are prone to failure from this issue, but any good brand name 10w30 or 10w40 should work fine.

10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

10-30 only in a kohler. not 10-40