Kohler Oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by timber132007, Oct 15, 2008.

1. timber132007

timber132007 LawnSite Member

Does anyone know where I can purchase Kohler 10w30 oil online? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. djchiodo3

djchiodo3 LawnSite Senior Member

Find it on ebay. Why only kohler oil?

3. timber132007

I've got a mower still under warranty with a Kohler engine. That's what I run in it to avoid any issues if I have a problem with the engine.

4. timber132007

Does anyone else know of a mower parts supplier I can get it from. Someone mentioned a while back they buy it in case quantities online but I can't remember where they said. I paid over four dollars a quart from a local dealer today so I'm trying to find a better deal on it.

5. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

6. LandscaperPro

LandscaperPro Sponsor

If it calls for 10w30, you can run any 10w30 without voiding the warranty.

According to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act a manufacturer may not require you (as conditions of the warranty) to use a branded product, unless it is provided free of charge.

So basically you can use an after market air filter, oil filter, or oil and as long as they are made to the OEM specs for the item (which LandscaperPro.com's are).

Ultimately it is up to you, but you could save yourself some money. The oil in that bottle is the same as most other 10w30's, your just paying for the label on the bottle.

7. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

Expressmowerparts.com a sponsor here has it by the case with free shipping

8. timber132007

Thanks for the replies.

9. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

You can run Super-Tec 10w-30 and it will not void your Kohler engine warranty, Unless the OEM provides the oil free of charge they CANNOT void or force a brand or viscosity of oil on you.

Magnuson-Moss Act

10. treemonkey

treemonkey LawnSite Member

Of course, IF Kohler can prove that a defective aftermarket filter or whatever CAUSED the engine failure, then Kohler CAN deny warrenty.

Why would Kohler warranty an engine repair if the NAPA/Wix filter had defective media, etc.. However, Wix has their own warranty, so that should not be a problem either. But, it could potentially be more hassle and some people sleep better knowing they have reduced the "hassle factor".

Also, the Kohler oil is HDEO diesel rated, so it has a stronger additive pack than the Supertech SM oil. And, some here swear by it. It's not a bad choice, but it's more dollars and not necessary.

Myself, I use NAPA/WIX filters and Shell Rotella/Chevron even during warranty. It's odd how most of us don't give a second thought about NOT using Chevy/Ford/Dodge stuff in our mortgaged vehicles, but WE seem to care about it on these less expensive tools. I ponder about it on occasion.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008