Kohler Oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by southside, Jun 9, 2000.

1. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Which grade of oil is the best for my new<br>26hp efi Kohler? The Walker owners manual <br>says to use 10w30 grade,but the dealer says<br>to use 15w40 grade. The oil I use in all my<br>other motors is Castol RX Super 15w40,which <br>is a low ash diesel motor oil.Would this oil<br>be ok in my Kohler?<br>Any tips appreciated.<p>Karl<br>

2. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

I just got a 18hp kohler command. The dealer said use 10w30. Not sure exactly sure if its the same for yours but just what they told us.

3. Any oil will do until you break it in then change to full syn. I would put at least 200<br>hours on b/4 a change to full syn.

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have the same little boy that u have and the Kohler manual as well as the MOW-Ed manual recommend a synthetic oil of 5W-20 or 5W-30 is acceptable up to 40f. I go with Mobil 1 and it kicks ass. Same in the Hydros just a bit thicker. And the gearbox gets synthetic after 50 hrs. Since there is no oil coolers in the rig the heat gets HHHott and the synthetic helps by not breaking down.<br>I love my new 26 now I gotta get some bigger stuff like you have, Good Luck.

5. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I run Mobil 1 10-30 in my 25 Kohler. If reducing heat in air cooled engines is the name of the game, using synthetic can only help.

6. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks I'll look into the synthetic oil.<br>I beleive the 26hp has an oil cooler for the <br>motor,plus the hydros have fans on them.Is<br>that just AUST. specs or do you guys have that setup as well?<p>Karl<br>